Why become a member? ×

Sandberg California Series

BoomBass

Hi everyone,

I checked out a handful of Sandberg California models last year in a musicstore, and in general, I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed... They didn't feel that great and the sound was also pretty average to my ears.

Then, I gave them another shot a few weeks ago, and for some reason, it was a TOTALLY different experience!

I tried 4 different models and they were all pretty great souding and feeling, but in particular the PM5 heavy relic model was amazing. It was not a 'Masterpiece' model, so it had not received the 'vibration treatment'. There was a PM4 Masterpiece as well and that killed, too! Great bass!

So, does anyone here have extensive experience with Sandberg basses? Has there been a major development in build quality and consitence in production during the last year or so? Or was I just unlucky the first time???

In other words, is it safe to check ut some second hand Sandbergs that is a few years old???

And wha do you think about the 'Vibration treatment'? Does it really improve the sound?

Edited by BoomBass

[quote name='tombboy' post='801574' date='Apr 10 2010, 09:52 AM']Was it a different shop? If so, there's your answer. :)[/quote]

Hm... yeah, diffeent stores, BUT the second store, which I know well (it's a local store), is not exactly known for its great attention towards setting up their instruments properly - on the contrary actually...

You would be extremely lucky if you find a well setup bass there, and if that should happen, you can be absolutely certain that it is because it was set up well at the factory :-)

So, since the Sandbergs I tried there were great, the build quality and set up has nothing to do with the store. The first store I visited actually has a better reputation towards instrument care, and still, the Sandbergs there were crap... That got me puzzled... :rolleyes:

[quote name='tombboy' post='802059' date='Apr 10 2010, 06:39 PM']They did move factory last year.... but saying that, the two I've owned (Dear Old Blighty custom in my avatar I still have) have been made pre-move and were/are majestic in every way.[/quote]

Right, I could have just been unlucky with the ones I tried last year... However, the new factory also makes kinda sense to me due to the dramatic change in quality that I have experienced.

Hm.. seems like I had a day of bad luck last year.

So, does anyone have an opinion about the 'Masterpiece' models that have received the vibration treatment?

I just tried two PM (a 4 and a 5 . both hardcore relic). The PM4 was a 'Masterpiece', the PM5 was not. The PM4 seemed like the best, but maybe I was just infuenced by the much higher price tag...

• 3 years later...

[quote name='BoomBass' timestamp='1271102919' post='804164']
Hm.. seems like I had a day of bad luck last year.

So, does anyone have an opinion about the 'Masterpiece' models that have received the vibration treatment?

I just tried two PM (a 4 and a 5 . both hardcore relic). The PM4 was a 'Masterpiece', the PM5 was not. The PM4 seemed like the best, but maybe I was just infuenced by the much higher price tag...
[/quote]

Anybody?

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1372333117' post='2124388']
Why are we resurrecting a thread that's over 3 years old again?
[/quote]

Because I am on the way to order a Masterpiece Sandberg and[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828] I have to know opinions from people about "vibration treatment" and if they think is an improvement for a bass[/color][/font]

Edited by ovialexm1