Why become a member? ×

Amp power question

steviedee

Hi Folks

I recently purchased an amp 550 watt into 4ohms or 350 into 8 ohms, I got my hands on a compact EA 1x12 350 8ohm cab to go with the amp. However, I'd like to get the full 550 out of the amp, I now have the chance of buying an identical cab which would allow full power from the amp at 4 ohms (I think).

My questions is will the amp have enough power to drive the two EA 350 cabs or not?

Cheers

Stevie

Edited by steviedee

[quote name='Conan' post='801175' date='Apr 9 2010, 07:44 PM']It will certainly send its full power to them (well, half of it to each cab - so 275 watts each). But it depends what you mean by "drive" them? There should be plenty of volume....[/quote]

Cheers for the reply, I might be wrong here, but is it the consensus that it's better to have a more powerful amp than the speakers?

I'm quite happy to get 275 out of each cab on the few occasions I might use 2 cabs but was worried that the more powerful cabs might adversely affect the amps performance if that's not the case great stuff.

The speakers in the EA cabs will be good quality, sensitive units. Should be no problems, you shouldn't need to push the amp as hard to get the required volume as you would with inferior units

No doubt someone more clued up will add something but i tend to think of it this way - quality and efficiency of cab/driver is more important than the numbers on the back!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='801197' date='Apr 9 2010, 08:08 PM']The speakers in the EA cabs will be good quality, sensitive units. Should be no problems, you shouldn't need to push the amp as hard to get the required volume as you would with inferior units

No doubt someone more clued up will add something but i tend to think of it this way - quality and efficiency of cab/driver is more important than the numbers on the back![/quote]

Cool that's great just what I wanted to hear!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='801205' date='Apr 9 2010, 08:18 PM']What's the bass response on those little EA cabs btw?

I'm assuming it's a Wizzy?[/quote]

They are CXL 112s one is the L and the prospective new addition is the E

[quote]CxL 112L - The CxL 112L, like all Euphonic Audio amps, boasts remarkably flat frequency response. But this can also crank if you need it to, with a power rating of 350 watts and 130db sound pressure level. It also goes lower than any other EA speaker.[/quote]