Why become a member? ×

Playing bass on the cruises?

MacDaddy

I did a few months around the Med about 10 years ago - I'm glad I did it and my playing seriously improved, playing every day and reading for different acts each week really helps.

Ultimately I found it quite a lonely experience - I didn't know anyone on the ship and the rest of band and dance troop already knew each other which made it difficult to 'fit in'.

It would be cool to do it as a band with a group of guys you really get on with :)

Just tonight I've been offered the chance to go play with a resident club band in China, and have a lot of thinking to do and only 2 days to do it in.
It'd mean leaving everything here for anything from a year to however long. Fantastic opportunity, but lots of things/people to think of here first.

I just got back from my first cruise contract last Friday. Did ten weeks in the Caribbean with a guest band on a P&O ship and really enjoyed it. I'm 22 and just graduated from uni last year so felt it was a good time to try it. I mostly play in original bands back home, but have a wedding band on the go at the weekend to pay the bills, so it was a big learning curve for me being dropped into a lot of strict tempo ballroom music aswell as the usual pop stuff we were doing. It dawned on me very quickly that I hadn't been keeping my reading up to scratch since I left uni either, but after a couple of weeks I'd settled in ok. If anyone is considering it, I'd say it's definately worth giving a go. I don't think I would make it my career at this point in time, but maybe in a few years if other things don't work out and I find myself with not very many commitments I'd love to give it a go again. We were basically the dance band so didn't have to back many cabaret acts, but I imagine that'd be a really beneficial thing to be doing, and would stop the material you're playing becoming stale.

I haven't done it myself, but my good friend is a guitarist who has done this for about 10 years, and from his experiences and tales it boils down to:

1. a worthwhile experience in the short term as you'll see new places all over the world as part of the job
2. you'll meet loads of new people
3. you're playing skills will grow dramatically through constant playing
4. you will get drunk a lot
5. you'll put on weight as a result
6. cabin fever will eventually kick in and the job may become too much
7. it can lead to other music shows across the world if your playing is really good
8. it could destroy your musical soul and leave you never wanting to play again :)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='797529' date='Apr 6 2010, 12:47 PM']4. you will get drunk a lot
5. you'll put on weight as a result[/quote]

These two are exactly correct. I ended up going to the gym everyday for the last 3 weeks of my contract, it still wasn't enough to tackle the beer gut I'd already amassed though.

I can heartily recommend it from both a social/travel perspective and a musical one.
I did two contracts for royal caribbean onboard the two largest cruise ships in the world at the time Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the seas. Basically you need to be a good player with decent reading skills. It also really helps to be a people person as you are living in each others pockets for the duration of you contract! You need to be pretty confident in most musical styles, I was playing in the orchestra so we we playing for:
the production shows - musical numbers, pop songs etc;
big band sets - count basie etc
cocktail bar stuff - jazz
backing guest entertainers - probably the best bit, I played for Mickey Dolenz, the Osmonds and the Drifters...not mega I know but it's a welcome change!
Go for it!
c

[quote name='stonecoldbass' post='804888' date='Apr 13 2010, 02:07 PM']All gear except ur bass is provided. Just turn up, plug in and go! The onboard techs are great and u rarely have to soundcheck as it's pretty much the same gigs every week![/quote]

on board techs? Like the sound of that!