Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Burman are they back?

SS73

Great news I think, [url="http://www.burmanamp.co.uk/"]http://www.burmanamp.co.uk/[/url] . They don't say much about the Pro 4000 but wouldn't that just be awesome if they started making those again :rolleyes: :) , fingers crossed.

[quote name='Daquifsta' post='795076' date='Apr 3 2010, 02:31 PM']Awful website though: I hate any site that plays music the instant it loads, and ones that beep when you hover over a clickable item. It's all a bit 'my first website', Grrrr :)[/quote]

And the email isn't working too, lets hope this is because they are concentrating on building amps.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='795159' date='Apr 3 2010, 05:57 PM']Won't lack of partridge transformers and Mullard/Gold Lion valves be a major hit?[/quote]

I think there are people that can wind as well as Partridge, going to come down to costs though.

That website has been around since 2004, before Gregg had his health problems. Then it went offline for a number of years while Gregg was recuperating. Interesting to see that its back and in a very very slightly more complete state than when I last saw it. I've sent him an email asking about it.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='796849' date='Apr 5 2010, 07:14 PM']That website has been around since 2004, before Gregg had his health problems. Then it went offline for a number of years while Gregg was recuperating. Interesting to see that its back and in a very very slightly more complete state than when I last saw it. I've sent him an email asking about it.[/quote]

Please help!
Bought a Burman pro 501 from biggles music in 1981 - best amp in the world.
Stupidly sold it on ebay in 2003 for £400. Instantly realised my mistake.
Happily bought one a month age from a local music shop in Swansea who did not know what it was.
The amp is in perfect condition although recovered and given some 'chicken head' knobs.
My question is that it needs new valves.
Should I buy 'cryogenic' pre amp valves from Watford valves? will they make any difference to the sound?
More importantly it has Soldano EL34's - should I replace with Gold Lion KT77's or Gold Lion KT66's ? Whats the difference?

Will I regret changing the speaker for a Celestion Alnico variation?

I am determined to buy every Burman amp I see - by the way I paid £250.00 for it !!!!!!!!

With a little bit of hype this amp is as good as Dumble, Trainwreck, Kendrick etc except we are British and we dont really go for hype.

Maybe someone needs to be seen playing one? Joe Bonnamassa or that guy from Dire Straights.

Thanks for your time. I really hope Greg Burman is still around and can get some backing to restart - British Amp Company would be agood place to start.

By the way - there used to be a small handbook with variouse settings - anybody know where I can get one.?

Bye for now - great site - real people with real stories - ace.

Don't bother with dryogenic valves, they are snake oil. Just get some nice preamp valves.

When you say 'Gold Lion' I guess you mean the reissue, Joe Garcia has tried some and they broke. Not sure if it was the valves or the amp though. Anyway, not heard that they are a patch on the originals. It should probably have KT77s, but earlier ones were EL34, not that the circuit will differ, but what is the power rating? EL34 would be 50w, KT77 would be 70, I think, there is a [url="http://www.burmanamps.fsnet.co.uk/"]Burman fansite[/url] and the chap from that is communicative if you email him, can probably sort a manual for you too.

Burman said that just put good valves in, the circuit gives the tone, valves are like light bulbs, some will break and some will be fine. I'd go for KT77 still. If you really want authentic, you can have the pair of original Gold Lions from my Burman Pro502 for £300.

No real reason for an alnico speaker really.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='963771' date='Sep 21 2010, 08:41 PM']It should probably have KT77s, but earlier ones were EL34, not that the circuit will differ, but what is the power rating? EL34 would be 50w, KT77 would be 70,[/quote]

Not sure I totally agree with this. As far as I can tell the original Genelec KT77 and all the clones will give you 50W for a pair. The original Genelec Golden Lion KT77 as Mr Foxen has in his 502 were the ones with the increased power output, up by 20% to give you 70W for a pair.

The re-issues named 'Golden Lion KT77s' as blown up by Mr Garcia are chinese-made KT77 clones and will give 50W for a pair.

I reckon the JJ Tesla KT77 is the best of the re-issues, that's what I use in my Burmans. There's probably not a lot of difference between that and an EL34. If the OP decides to change, get a matched pair and make sure to get the amp re-biased at the same time.

Also as far as I know, the Pro series was designed for the KT77 and were always fitted with these from the factory. Could well be wrong about that.

Thanks for the info - great to see others have an interest in this company.

Over weekend I changed the soldanoEL34's for Winged 'C' EL34's - marginal, though noticable, change of charachter. It is 'crisper', less backgorund noise, and seems slightly louder, although this could be due to a cleaner output stage with more definition, therefore the speake is getting a different signal though I have tried to keep the same amp settings. However, I also changed the Mazda ECC81 and all four Maxda ECC83's for a Harma ECC81 and four Electro Harmonix ECC83's and THAT really made a difference.

The sound is now highly articulate more 'lively' and I get a lot more gain. This now reminds me of a Randall or MESA sound but do I like it? Well I'm happy with the change at the moment but I know I have lost some of the original charachter. Still I have the original tubes as spare if I get fed up with it.

Have seen a FANE 12" 100W alnico speaker for about £200 - tempting?

Once again thanks for you taking an interest and taking the time to reply.

On a side issue - as my job is a consultant in marketing and finance, I was wondering if anyone had contact details for Mr Burman or anyone else who may have an interest in his brilliant amps. I am certain that, with a little persuasion, I could get a major British manufacturer to reissue these amplifiers, if only on a short 'limited issue' basis. I would be happy to do all I can to help at no charge - ever. All we need then is for a high profile player to endorse them and ................................?

Any contact info would help.

[quote name='ceri edwards' post='969197' date='Sep 27 2010, 09:12 AM']On a side issue - as my job is a consultant in marketing and finance, I was wondering if anyone had contact details for Mr Burman or anyone else who may have an interest in his brilliant amps. I am certain that, with a little persuasion, I could get a major British manufacturer to reissue these amplifiers, if only on a short 'limited issue' basis. I would be happy to do all I can to help at no charge - ever. All we need then is for a high profile player to endorse them and ................................?

Any contact info would help.[/quote]
You'd need to get in line I'm afraid. Others have already approached him, including Matamp. But Gregg is extremely protective of his intellectual copyright and isn't interested in sharing. He's also asked that his contact details be kept confidential. Good on ya for being enthusiastic though. You'll find a lot of the designs are based around the same preamp design, with varied power sections. Its worth trying the JJ KT77's though. They're significantly different to the sound of EL34s.

There are some stories from Gregg here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58420"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58420[/url]

[quote name='ceri edwards' post='969197' date='Sep 27 2010, 10:12 AM']Thanks for the info - great to see others have an interest in this company.

Over weekend I changed the soldanoEL34's for Winged 'C' EL34's - marginal, though noticable, change of charachter. It is 'crisper', less backgorund noise, and seems slightly louder, although this could be due to a cleaner output stage with more definition, therefore the speake is getting a different signal though I have tried to keep the same amp settings. However, I also changed the Mazda ECC81 and all four Maxda ECC83's for a Harma ECC81 and four Electro Harmonix ECC83's and THAT really made a difference.

The sound is now highly articulate more 'lively' and I get a lot more gain. This now reminds me of a Randall or MESA sound but do I like it? Well I'm happy with the change at the moment but I know I have lost some of the original charachter. Still I have the original tubes as spare if I get fed up with it.[/quote]

On changing the Output valves you should set the bias to suit the new valves, to low the sound will become brittle, to high and the valves will cook. On the pre amp side, Greg designed the amp around the Mazda's and unless yours are tired, those new ones will not give the warmth of the Mazda's and will appear crisp and more lively and at the expense of its soul ( take it to gig like that and watch peoples teeth grind).