Why become a member? ×

At Last.....

Arco

Yup, at last I have joined! Been lurking around here for a long time and I thought it better to show myself. I've been playing for about 15 years, mainly an eub (bassix) plus a Precision and mark Bass amp. My band is mainly big band and jazz, I also sing. Sometimes I gig with a slide blues player of ill repute. I haven't played full time for 18 monthe since a serious accident broke my left hand and dislocated my right shoulder amongst other injuries. After countless operations I now have 80% use of my left hand and 50% right shoulder, so playing is getting a bit easier. An interesting one for you all is, when I started to take my playing more seriously about 10 years ago and learn to read properly I found my improv/busking skills deteriorated (all playing in the band is reading) - any similar experiences anyone? Oh BTW looking for a good old Precision fretless if anyone has one. Cheers everyone, enjoyed the site enormously.

Welcome aboard - great to hear you are on the mend. I play Violin and tend to read only on this instrument and find it exceptionally hard to improvise, yet on bass I just improvise and play by ear. Having said that, not too much call for improvising in orchestral music.

Welcome! Glad to hear the broken bits are mending!
Can't beat a good Precision. I bought a new fretless in '81. Should have kept it, although it wasn't actually a particularly good example. Didn't stop me playing it in a rock band for the next 5 or 6 years, though!