Why become a member? ×

Holy grail!

joegarcia

[quote name='SS73' post='792242' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:06 PM']Ok, got it, mine has two sets of numbers 24101270 and 1377049, the later is the one we are after, 137= Chicago made, 70= year, 49= 49th week.

Hang on that is Dec 70!![/quote]

Wow. Mine is 1377035. Just a few months older than yours from the same factory.

Thing I can't work out is yours is a good 90,000 units before mine, but in the space of a few months.

This is a good thread on talkbass about the 69's, www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415393&highlight=svt+1969

Edited by SS73

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok, so this is finally ready to courier back to me. John Wood has done a lot of work on it and he reckons it's putting out 350w now!
He rewound the power transformer and replaced the output transformer as well as replacing a load of other bits with NOS parts.
Can't wait to get it back.
He's also confirmed that it's a '69 afterall! He was saying that Ampeg would probably want to buy it back :)

Also, does anyone know if the first SVT's had black or silver grilles? Mine has a black grille and it doesn't look right. Sure I've seen others from that period with black ones but could be wrong. Mate of mine has given me a 70's silver one to stick on but not sure which is right.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='1091049' date='Jan 16 2011, 03:05 AM']Also, does anyone know if the first SVT's had black or silver grilles? Mine has a black grille and it doesn't look right. Sure I've seen others from that period with black ones but could be wrong. Mate of mine has given me a 70's silver one to stick on but not sure which is right.[/quote]

Mine is said to be from 70 and came with a silver grille. Silver fits to my cab dated the same year with original CTS/horseshoe speakers. This seems to be a good sign that silver cloth has been used at these models. I´ve seen black grilles from older than late 70s blackface series amps only. But I could be wrong with that.

Edited by jensenmann

Cool, cheers for the info. Think I'll stick the silver grille on then.

The problem now is getting it back from John Wood in Nottingham to me in Bristol. Most couriers won't do it as it weighs around 35kg and the few that do won't insure it.
I don't currently drive so it looks like I'm gonna have to pay a mate to drive me up there and back :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this back at last, finally gonna be able to fire it up tomorrow.
SS73, are you absolutely sure about the silver grille cloth? The pics here are of someone elses that looks just like mine currently:
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zentil/sets/72157607404524539/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/zentil/sets/72157607404524539/[/url]

Keep it silver and keep it original.

You also really need to get an old Ampeg 4x10 cab to go with it, IMV.

As good as I rate Ag cabs, you need Ampeg cabs, pref uprated as a 200w 4x10 is no good to you, IMO.. to complete the look.

Was that the state of the internals at that time..??? wow!!!

Hell no. Why on earth do I 'need Ampeg cabs'? That's absurd.
I'm not convinced that the grille was silver originally either, that's kinda what I'm asking. As I said, those pics above aren't of mine, they're of someone elses '69 that was restored and they kept the black grille. Wondering if they used black grille cloth originally at some point perhaps.

Never Black, here's mine a late 70 and the one in the restoration pic's is about the same period as mine ( both have a black chassis, which is mid 70 on), def not a 69, it would need a silver chassis and a valve relay next to the preamp connection block, like the one below. Mine got it's grill cloth sprayed black at some point and I paint stripped it as best I could, so it looks quite dark. The actual cloth is made up of black vertical strands and horizontal black, Grey and twisted blue and silver strands ( the silver goes gold with age). Try some paint stripper on the back, don't worry I had thinners and carbon Tet too on mine, it's really tough stuff.

[attachment=71672:IMG00855...413_1230.jpg] Valve standby socket,[attachment=71673:ampegtubejumper.jpg]