Why become a member? ×

Holy grail!

joegarcia

So, the holy grail of bass amps has just fallen into my lap (ouch).

An Ampeg '69 SVT.

I got it off a friend of a friend who has fallen into hard times and can't afford to replace the power transformer. Going to be sending it up to John Wood in Nottingham for a transformer rewind and a general check over. It has NOS GE 6146B's in and is quite a sight, pics tomorrow when theres some light.

Quite excited. Reckon my rig will just be this and my V4 into the two Aggie GS412's.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='791421' date='Mar 31 2010, 01:27 AM']Feel even a little bit guilty for taking this from the unfortunate friend of a friend?[/quote]

Absolutely. It's not the first or last time he'll sell off gear for quick cash though. He hasn't had it working for ages as he hasn't been able to afford fixing it up. I think he'd rather it was lovingly restored and was being used which is fair enough. He still has plenty more awesome amps too though.

Pics coming tomorrow hopefully.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='791620' date='Mar 31 2010, 10:19 AM']Hell of a find Joe!
Did you move the SVT-2 on then? And how big is your band's PA you need a rig like that?[/quote]

PA? We're not a function or pub band! I don't really think [i]need[/i] is the right word. :)
Yea, sold the SVT-2 last week, took a bit of a hit on it (sort of) but pleased to have moved it on as it wasn't really me. This SVT probably isn't either really but we'll see.

Off to take some pics.

Edited by joegarcia

[attachment=46097:P1010337.JPG]

As you can see the front grill isn't original but I have a friend with a correct replacement.

[attachment=46098:P1010341.JPG]

Note the large whole where the power transformer should be. It's on my kitchen table at the moment. Also, the lovely sextet of NOS GE 6146B's. :)

[quote name='joegarcia' post='791893' date='Mar 31 2010, 01:52 PM']Can anyone offer any guidance on dating it? What does the chrome chassis indicate? I guess it's a '69 or a '70 but would be nice if someone in the know could confirm it. The serial is 005165.[/quote]

Woh, that is seriously early, try this for dating, www.unofficialampeg.com/dating.html
Looking like its an early 70 or a late 69.
Slide out the main chassis and on the bias pot's are dates, mine read xxxxx-1270 = dec 1970.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='791889' date='Mar 31 2010, 01:50 PM'][attachment=46099:P1010342.JPG]

[attachment=46100:P1010345.JPG]

[attachment=46103:P1010346.JPG]

[attachment=46104:P1010347.JPG]

Preamps valves are a mix of RCA, Mullard and Sylvania.[/quote]

My God man, I have a semi.
You are a lucky lucky man

[quote name='SS73' post='791988' date='Mar 31 2010, 02:50 PM']Woh, that is seriously early, try this for dating, www.unofficialampeg.com/dating.html
Looking like its an early 70 or a late 69.
Slide out the main chassis and on the bias pot's are dates, mine read xxxxx-1270 = dec 1970.[/quote]

Mine ends in 1270 too. Is that a strange coincidence or is that not the date?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='792114' date='Mar 31 2010, 04:30 PM']40 year old amp that's been treated badly enough to kill the power transformer and is grotty is good enough reason.[/quote]

Sure, maybe enough reason for a service but to assume it needs lots of work is a bit presumptuous I hope.

Just put the power transformer back in for shipping, gonna take the valves out and wrap them up separately too.

[attachment=46133:P1010360.JPG]

[quote name='joegarcia' post='792116' date='Mar 31 2010, 04:32 PM']Mine ends in 1270 too. Is that a strange coincidence or is that not the date?[/quote]

Ok that is strange, as mine is a whole load away from yours in chassis number, its 102xxx.
Hmm I think a bit of research.

Edited by SS73