Why become a member? ×

Help with ASIO Driver and Cubase SX 3

ped

I recently got Cubase SX 3 and played around with it. My setup is bass into Pod XT pro into laptop via USB, then I listen to the mix etc from the headphone port on the pod. This has always sounded excellent with Ableton Live and so on. However I am having trouble getting Cubase to work.

I initially had a mess about and managed to get the pod to work - I selected it from the 'devices' menu and that was basically it. I uninstalled it (long story) and put it back on a bit later only to find that every time I try and choose Pox XT pro from the devices menu it crashes and I get the good old blue windows XP screen with white text and my system restarts.

Can someone PLEASE talk me through, step by step, what to do? I can't for the life of me work out what I did originally and don't have the patience to sit through a system restart every time I try!

There is something under the programme group on the start menu called ASIO driver settings or something where you can select the 'in' and 'out' bits - the normal setting says 'realtek audio' or similar - referring to my PC sound card presumably. Underneath each is the pod. I have ticked both and made them the primary ones but when I run the test there is loss of data or something meaning it wont work...

HELP!
PED!

Very odd issue Ped,

The Blue Screen of Death (it is actually called that!) is probably being caused by a hardware error. and im bettings its your POD.

Remove the POD and uninstall it, Download the latest drivers from Line 6, install them, plug in the pod, and give it a bash.
Then let me know how that goes.

G

Not 100% on this kind of thing but I had major latency problems as a result of an inadequate ASIO driver. The driver in many soundcards is not good enough for music technology as the time it takes to convert audio to digitial is enough to put thing s out. On the advice of a friend who knows about this stuf, I upgraded to an external audio interface (Edirol) and got rid of the problem.

Hope it works out.

Hi chaps,

I don't think the driver is the problem as I have used the pod successfully in many places with various software without any problems (even got it working with Cubase earlier this week with no problems whatsoever). I will get myself a cup of tea, sit down and have a god go at reinstalling it all today. More news and updates soon!!

ped

Alright, that didn't take long -

I re-installed the driver and tried changing the driver in cubase - same problen. When my computer came back I went into the 'AISO Multimedia Setup' menu on the taskbar and found the pod xt pro was 'un ticked' - a swift ticking later I restarted cubase and switched the driver with everything crossed - lo and behold it worked. Everything as it should be - zero latency and crisp audio.

Thanks very much for the help - my next question will be about using Reason as a VST plugin but let me explore Cubase a little first!

Cheers
ped

Glad to hear it worked out Ped. I tried re-wiring the demo of Reason to Live on your advice and it's wicked. It really makes up for lives lack of synths. Have you seen the deal on upgrading live lite to live 7 for £177? I am seriously tempted. Ends at the end of November.

i've recently begun working with SX, on the whole it's great. but it can be tempramental.

i had started on one tune, programmed some MIDI drums, saved and closed. next time i opened it, started to listen and the computer died. and has done ever since whenever i open the file (but it's not instant, usually lives for about 30 seconds). so i moved what i'd done and saved it as a new project and it's fine. pretty weird.