Why become a member? ×

Spector pre amp replacement

oldslapper

Having just got another 5 string Legend (custom I think) very cheaply, I want to replace the pre amp. Any suggestions?
It's got the usual EMG HZ pups (passive presumably), but bridge bucker and neck single coil, bass/treble stack pot, mid pot and 2 vols.

On a side note, I'm amazed at how cheap these go for 2nd hand, given their comparable price new to a G&L Tributes which seem to have higher value 2nd hand.
I've owned both a Tribby and Legends and both seem to have same manufacturing "quality" (probably out of the same factory in Korea).
Very different basses in many ways, the G&L having an amazing arsenal of tones, but the Spector/EMG tone being very distinctive and a very playable neck (IMHO).

Anway, any help on the replacement pre amp much appreciated, including anyone with something to sell?
I'm falling in love with the Spector NS shape, and the EMG/Spector combo....not always been a fan of EMG bass pups, but they seem to work with this model.

Ta,
John

Be aware that the OBP1 and 3 tend to have a scoopy type sound, if you value your mids. Many spector owners here like the East U-retro with sweepable mids. I also like the Noll 3 band parametric but it requires some permanent modification to the jack socket.

I'm also going to say fit an East U retro.

I've had one in my CRFM 5 (active EMGs) for over three years and it's still the best sounding bass to my ears, although other basses have came and went in that time.

Every time I play it, I fall in love all over again.

Frank.