Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Db659 Question

krispn

So I opened up the DB 659 yesterday to try out some new valves and while I was having a look about I noticed what appears to be a trim pot inside the unit. I haven't read anything about these pre's having an internal trim, and I could be wrong but do any of you guys know of this? I havent touched it as i really wanna get some information on what it is/does.

I've attached a pic - taken on my mobile so not the best quality- and you can see its the little blue box with the grey coloured + on it righ in the centre of the pic. I've included another pic I found of an internal shot of a DB 659 and I can't seem to locate the blue box unless its obscured in the pic. Have a look and tell me what you think. For reference mine is the close up pic not the top down pic

Look forward to any info you guys can provide. Im gonna contact the tech team at Aguilar too but with the time difference Im guessing someone here can beat them to it. Let the countdown begin!

If they do pass on any info I'll add it ot this original post in case anyone else is interested.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by krispn

Hi Toasted
Yeah i totally agree with you. I often question why a manufacturer even bothers with tone controls. It would be so much easier if we could all just know what a particular amp sounded like and buy it preset with no buttons or switches to confuse things ;-) I suppose we should begrudge the great explorers for bothering to get off their arses and discovering new worlds too. However thank you for contributing and giving me something to smile about. I'll be sure and label my next post correctly... Internal trim pots! Discuss. i hope your afternoon turns out better than your morning :-)

I hardly think that you're going to find new worlds by twisting a trimpot inside a preamp. You're probably just going to un-bias a transistor.

If aguilar thought it was a good idea for you to be messing with that control they'd have put it on the outside. Just leave it alone, eh?

from looking at that i think it sets the gain i couldn't be 100% without better pictures or a schematic though. The trim connects to pin 7 right?

Turn it up if you want more gain turn it down if you want less, i think it will already have been set to a good compromise though.

Walbassist

The 659 sounds great and Im not about to jump in there with the screwdriver. Just never noticed it before and it sparked my interest. A gain control would be useful to get a little more grit from the pre but I generally use a pedal or two for that anyway.

However the official word from Aguilar is " The trim pot sets the "post eq" level of the XLR output.

As for your rig I'd email them and ask as you never know what damage it might do :)

Edited by krispn