Why become a member? ×

'Basses for Sale' Section at Basschat

Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' post='786945' date='Mar 26 2010, 03:13 PM']The Basschat 'for sale' section is choka -block with 5-string and 6-string basses. It's a shame for us traditional 4-string players: not much variety or choice there.

Do people get fed up with 5 and 6 strings really quickly and go back to their 4-strings? Why are there so many 5 and 6 string basses for sale there? I thought most bassists played 4?[/quote]

I've given 5 strings several goes but always gravitated back to four. It seemed that I would get a five string, go back to four string selling my 5 string, only to 'believe' I need a five string again! I have decided to keep my Clover Avenger to get me over the sporadic belief that overcomes me that I need a five string and since then I have never had the desire to play a 5 string live!!!!

Edited by alanbass1

I currently exclusively play a 6 string live (there's a couple of pics up in the James Warner Prophecies gig thread).

I have been tempted by a 4 string though, a nice fretless VMJ. I do play 4 strings too, but I find them too limiting live. For me playing live is all about improv (obviously within limits) and making things sound slightly different each time. Having the extra strings means I can arpeggio to my heart's content without worrying too much about where my hands are (less movement involved).

I do think that there's a lot of 5 and 6 string basses for sale though because people want to try them out then decide they don't want them and move them on.

As someone who plays mainly 5-strings I've made a decision not to buy any more 4-string basses unless it's something very special and there's no 5-string version available. This also means that I might have a couple of fairly tasty 4-strings up for sale just as soon as I've replaced then with 5-string versions!

It's horses for courses - I use 4's when I don't need any lower notes & I want the fastest necks I own for speedy funky stuff. I use a 5 when I need to play lots of extra lower notes & I used to have a TRB-6 which was great for working with sax players because they work in such stupid keys - The high C string is a boon when you're able to work across ways, as opposed to flying up and down the neck.

They're all useful in their own way. I need another TRB.

[quote name='uzzell' post='788369' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:49 AM']I used to play 4's exclusively before seeing the light and shifting to a 5 string (high c of course)

Now everytime I play a 4 string I find it too small and my hand cramps up really easy.

Different strokes.... and all that, yet to play anything more than a 6'er though I would love to.[/quote]

i had the hand cramp thing happen when i got a fender jazz, after thinking a thin neck would be
great, it just didn't work for me, sold it a week after i got it. to used to the atk & sandberg i think. i have a 5 with a high c
and it's really growing on me it is that touch wider, but not that wide it's uncomfortable. it's really changed my outlook on
5 strings, although i must say the only time i've seen 5ers + 6ers live is on t.v in the hands of pro's.