Why become a member? ×

AmpegSVT CL vs SVT VR

Florida_RRoe7_A

[size=2]Hello: This is actually my 2nd post and this one should get a good response. I am from the USA so $$$ to lbs. doesn't apply here, I know that Ampegs are sold in your neck of the woods and that there are many that have these amp heads:

I started out last Nov. with a B-Stock CL that didn't work out and I returned it. I bought The VR 3 weeks ago (great sound, power etc. ) the loud f*** fan put it in the bad buy dept. I'm not going to mess with it right now. The fan is as loud as an exaust fan in a bathroom. I am using it by running it from my closet (door closed) and its much better. Its totally unacceptable that this amp which cost almost $2000 sounds like this. I'll unload it as soon as I can in the near future. Now I decided to try the CL hoping that all reports that it was the best Ampeg tube amp were true. Being $300 cheaper than the VR I had already expected another loud f*** fan. Finally to my surprise I'm set with an amp. the fan is super quiet and the amp can be kept on top of the 810E where it belongs. Why is Ampeg's quality so up and down?
I don't want this to turn into a total bashing but for me I have spent so much f*** $$$$ on their products that I know what I speak. The Ampeg sound is unique but the trade-off is unpredictable quality no matter which product you get. The warning on the VR was when I read that in order to record with it, you had to move it out of the studio to the next room,great ! So for now my top three Ampegs that I have and use are:
svTCL
svT4-Pro
Svt450H and Ill also throw in an old SVT400T bought used on ebay and is my final last resort back-up........................
All opinions on the VR and the CL appreciated for this thread starter.......
So, learn from my $$$ mistakes and be careful which Ampegs you shell out your $$$ on...................................[/size] :)

Tried out a Classic in a shop when looking at a bass. I was playing at a very low volume and a tube went. The guy in the shop then plugged me into an Aguilar DB750, which just sounded so much better.

That said, I've seen so many bassists using SVT Classics that have had a great tone and I've never been at a gig where a tube Ampeg has cut out or gone wrong live.

Tube amps both excite and scare me. The quality control on Ampeg seems to be as varied as trying out a Fender bass, you could try one out and have a dud, or try one and think 'this is the best thing ever!' They are still a big name, but I'm not sure they can really be classed as the 'industry standard' anymore.

I must say that I was buying my last amp, I really didn't consider Ampeg Classic or VR, because I just didn't feel I could trust it in a gig to gig situation. They are also expensive and power tubes are expensive!

Thanks for both replies. About trying first, its not like a bass where most stores have most in stock. Amps aren't stocked esp. the high end ones. The quality is there but the consistancy isn't. Now Ampeg is featuring more expensive models that are made exclusively in the uSA. I also have a Fender Bassman 300 with a Fender cab. Now this one is worth the extra $$$. The amp all tube does not have a fan and it seems that it will hold up for many years to come. I am in the process of returning to music. Playing mostly in my home and not yet in a band, I can't turn anything up past 3 or 4................................Thanks again, Ill post in the near future....................

Tubes are exciting and scary, I have an orange ad140htc, for when I'm slapping the old six strings, and it sounds. I know its built like a tank, made of gold, but I'm scared to take it any where for gigs incase any goes wrong.

And hopefully your history with ampeg will prevent you from buying them in the future, I know I'm not buying a Marshall for a very long time, for the same reasons

I recorded with an SVT-AV recently (see my bass booth pic). That's an AV cab too, with the grill removed and only 4 speakers used. I do like these SVTs and how they sit in the mix with a P bass.

[attachment=45735:bassbooth.jpg]

Edited by Tee