Why become a member? ×

Nerdy string question - early Fenders (1950s)

Clarky

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='787396' date='Mar 26 2010, 08:10 PM']I think the Fender stainless flats still have green silks today.[/quote]

Yep they do :) New style packet, but the strings remain the same :lol:

Edit: Pics - Fender new & old packs + LaBella 1954's :rolleyes: I didn't like the new MLs at first, but as it was nearly St Paddy's day I left them on :lol: now they're *run-in* they're pretty good for the price, a lot less £ than LaBella 1954 Oldies - which BTW I've not fitted 'cos they feel "as ruff as a badgers chuff" I expect they'd be ok after a week or 3, saving them as a spare set.

Edited by KiOgon

Just had a look and mine are slightly different. I've seen an old pic advertising a Precision and the position of the silk varied with the string to be longer as it goes from E to G to match the Fender type headstock. With the silk as shown in your picture the strings are generic and would fit any 34" bass.

I was hoping mine would be the Fender specific type, hinting they may be original but the silk doesn't start until a few rounds of the capstan.

I think it'll take a while to get used to playing with flats, its a sound I have been careful to avoid for >30 years hence countless sets of Swing Bass!

[quote name='4 Strings' post='787752' date='Mar 27 2010, 11:55 AM']Just had a look and mine are slightly different. I've seen an old pic advertising a Precision and the position of the silk varied with the string to be longer as it goes from E to G to match the Fender type headstock. With the silk as shown in your picture the strings are generic and would fit any 34" bass.

I was hoping mine would be the Fender specific type, hinting they may be original but the silk doesn't start until a few rounds of the capstan.

I think it'll take a while to get used to playing with flats, its a sound I have been careful to avoid for >30 years hence countless sets of Swing Bass![/quote]

Don't forget mine in picture above - Frank Bello bass - are strung through body so you can see 1" or so longer silks before the machine head than bridge strung.
I just shot these - GHS 3060 strings on a 34" scale P bass, & 35" scale Skjold both hipshot bridges.

Edited by KiOgon