Why become a member? ×

What do you do if an RCD trips during a gig?

skampino

[quote name='skampino' post='785361' date='Mar 25 2010, 12:05 AM']Hey guys, all my equipment is brand new so no need to have it PAT tested.[/quote]

As far as I can tell that's a maybe. You can't go wrong by PAT testing for sure. However, if the equipment comes from a reliable source then it's reasonable to get it in your "normal round" of re-testing. Understand that a lot of the wording about PAT is the language of companies "covering their ass" as it were - can you prove you took reasonable precautions. In this case we are talking about actually being safe, so I would suggest getting it tasted asap.

[quote name='bumnote' post='785052' date='Mar 24 2010, 07:49 PM']many years ago i was watching another band set up to suddenly see the bass player on his back with one hand on his bass, and one on a mike stand and he was in a bad way.

no one in his band knew what to do, one bloke nearly grabbed the mike stand but I knew where the mains was and unplugged it. It doesnt take much to get electrocuted, and if you have a problem, you will have to rely on other people to sort your problem out very quickly.[/quote]

SOmething similar happened to one of the BC members and he told us about it here. It led to a rush on circuit breakers (me included!)

I can't remember the chap's name I'm afraid.

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='785912' date='Mar 25 2010, 03:13 PM']SOmething similar happened to one of the BC members and he told us about it here. It led to a rush on circuit breakers (me included!)

I can't remember the chap's name I'm afraid.[/quote]

You may be looking for [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29759"]this thread[/url].

S.P.

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='785912' date='Mar 25 2010, 03:13 PM']SOmething similar happened to one of the BC members and he told us about it here. It led to a rush on circuit breakers (me included!)

I can't remember the chap's name I'm afraid.[/quote]

this happened in about 1975 at the john peel pub in gosport

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='785436' date='Mar 25 2010, 06:35 AM']As far as I can tell that's a maybe. You can't go wrong by PAT testing for sure. However, if the equipment comes from a reliable source then it's reasonable to get it in your "normal round" of re-testing. Understand that a lot of the wording about PAT is the language of companies "covering their ass" as it were - can you prove you took reasonable precautions. In this case we are talking about actually being safe, so I would suggest getting it tasted asap.[/quote]
So are you saying even brand new gear bought from a musical instrument shop needs PAT testing?

[quote name='skampino' post='787089' date='Mar 26 2010, 03:55 PM']So are you saying even brand new gear bought from a musical instrument shop needs PAT testing?[/quote]

The regs are very vague. What it says is that if (as an employer, remember) you don't then you *could* be liable. I am involved in a charity that has engineering workshops. We PAT test all new equipment as soon as possible. We still use it - it just gets done the next time the guy goes round to do stuff.