Why become a member? ×

Gibson Les Paul Special with Bartolini pickups & electronics

ialma

Hello,
I'm helping a friend to sell his beloved Les Paul.
I've read (I'm not a Gibson expert at all) it's a rare and limited production bass equipped with factory installed Bartolini pickups and active preamp.
Cherryburst finish with flamed maple top, ebony fretboard and mother of pearl trapezoid fret markers.
Black chrome hardware, controls are 1 volume knob and 3 eq knobs which control the bartolini preamp with the usual more-than-wide tonal range.
No belt rashes or scratches.
It also includes the original gibson HSC in great condition

Asking [s]£1350[/s] now [s]£1250[/s] £1200

[u]Last and definitive price drop[/u]

He says he'll be more than happy to trade it for a Stingray 4 + cash on your side.

Any offer and comment is more than welcome.

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by ialma

230 views and not a single comment... this means bad news for my friend.
Is there anything wrong with this bass ?
Is requested price too high (I haven't the slightest clue, never dealt with Gibson basses before) ?
Comments are more than welcome, as usual.
Thanks everybody.

[quote name='ialma' post='779300' date='Mar 18 2010, 11:37 PM']230 views and not a single comment... this means bad news for my friend.
Is requested price too high (I haven't the slightest clue, never dealt with Gibson basses before) ?
Thanks everybody.[/quote]

I can imagine there is nothing wrong with the bass :) i had a quick look in this thread as i personally haven't seen a lot of Les Paul basses so i thought i'd take a quick look!

Good luck with the sale though!

[quote name='ialma' post='779300' date='Mar 18 2010, 11:37 PM']230 views and not a single comment... this means bad news for my friend.
Thanks everybody.[/quote]

Hi ialma,

Like 'spacecowboy' I see nothing wrong with the this bass. I will say though that Gibson really don't seem to be in favor with the majority of players, I once had a rather large bass player 'tell / yell at me' "you must be mad buying that piece of sh*t, Gibson make crap basses" he was referring to my Gibson Les Paul Standard Bass. In honesty I've had several derogatory comments from other bassists about Gibson basses, even though they may have never played them. Having said that I own two Gibson basses now and am a very happy bunny. All a bit strange really, six string players seem to love their Gibsons but for some reason Bass players don't have a lot of love for the Gibson family. It may be that a lot of the 'modern Bass sounds' are a bit beyond the capabilities of the Gibsons.

Anyway tell your friend to hang in there, for every pot there's lid - just got to wait for the right pot to come along.

My two Gibbo's, love them to bits:

[attachment=45247:LPSG.JPG]

Oggy :)

[quote name='Oggy' post='780909' date='Mar 20 2010, 04:39 PM']I once had a rather large bass player 'tell / yell at me' "you must be mad buying that piece of sh*t, Gibson make crap basses"[/quote]

How rude! Plus my G-3 and I beg to differ :)

Cheers Dude :rolleyes:

Looking at the serial number, she's a '93??

These early Les Paul basses, with the Bartolini pickups, and preamp are vastly underated IMHO. They also have the Schaller 3D adjustable bridge, so you can adjust string spacing as well. Tonally, I would describe them as a Thunderbird on steroids, but with more versatility.

Have a free bump :)

1993 or 1994 I'll ask my friend for a focussed photo.
My friend plays every sort of rock music with this bass, going from alt rock to classic metal and the bass sounds perfect.
It cuts the mix live, and that Bartolini electronic is a damn razor.

[quote name='ialma' post='786922' date='Mar 26 2010, 01:42 PM']no interest for this lovely Gibson ?[/quote]

It's a really lovely bass but you might be asking a little too much. The special is not the carved top LP standard that sells around £1500 new. These modern Gibbos , although they are great basses and not common, just dont seem to command high prices these days. Suggest you search the web for a price.
Just a suggestion as you asked if there was a problem. Good luck !

Edited by loweringthetone

[quote name='budget bassist' post='781854' date='Mar 21 2010, 06:53 PM']I played one of these at the yorkshire bash today, it belonged to retroman, and it played and sounded surprisingly good!! Just thought i'd throw that in there[/quote]

I played the very same bass round Retromans today, and yes, its great sounding, and 'feel' of a really top quality solid, bass, IMHO better than the Thunderbird, and certainly better than the arched top later Les Paul basses. Though I still love my Ripper, me being a maple lover rather than mahogany.

Ps Retroman is a top geezer as well as having great basses :-)