Why become a member? ×

xotic bass bb preamp or catalinbread SFT

victor5string

hey all i wanna add some grit to my sound and wanted ask if you have had any exprience with these two pedals. i know i don't want a sansamp just cos i wanna try somthing new. i'm not looking for this lofi fuzz thing, i like definition in my overdrive/distortion and somthing that makes its self known but without colouring my tone to much.

if it's of any help i play a Tobias standard 5 through a GK fusion 550 into a schroeder 410L and i mostly play rock and metal

i would love to know your thoughts

I have both, you can get pretty similar tones out of each. The SFT sounds a bit more muffled, I have to have the treble control at 3 o'clock to get some pleasing grind out of it. The BB has a more useable EQ since the EQ is after the overdrive section of the circuit. You can get a lot more bass out of the BB, crank the bass on the SFT and you end up distorting your lows more without actually increasing the bass by much.

As to which sounds better, I'm undecided so I'm keeping both! For overdrive I run one or the other into a VT Bass, the combination of stacking the pedals gives a much more pleasing drive sound than can be achieved by any of the pedals alone.

Edited by dannybuoy

Having had both I greatly prefer the SFT, I found the BB to be nice at low gain but that was it, sorta got fizzy at high gain sounds.

I replaced my BB with a Tone Factor Cream Pie which then I sold (actually got rid of 3 of them) when I got the SFT.

If you want to buy from the US I can get you a 10% off voucher for Tone Factor