Why become a member? ×

Jazz on an electric

Jam

I think what is at the heart of this debate is not really how it sounds but more the physical presence that the sound, and feel, and air movement a double bass creates, don't forget the acoustic element of the classic jazz trio, qtet etc (I'm lucky enough to have played both since I was under 13) It's inimitable, there is a place for whatever low register instrument (tuba don't forget) is around as long as its in the right hands. and bass guitar sounds great when played by someone who really swings (BTW if you can, check out Gary Culshaw from Preston he swings like a donkeys d*ck on electric) its like this, tenor sax, piano, little drums... upright is a winner in most cases but there are always exceptions to the rule.
Jake

Check out anything from Electric Bass player...
Monk Montgomery....brother of the great Wes...
He Was swinging on electric in the 50's... :)

[url="http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/montgomery_monk/artist.jhtml"]http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/montgomery_monk/artist.jhtml[/url]

Garry

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='85215' date='Nov 8 2007, 02:32 AM']Was just watching DVD of Dizzy G at Royal Festival Hall with Arturo Sandoval, James Moody, Flora Purim, Giovanni Hidalgo, Airto Moriera etc... John Lee absolutely smokes on electric bass guitar! Check it out! BTW, Arturo Sandoval can't be human to hit notes like that....[/quote]

Ah actually, I need to add John Lee to that list...he is an excellent support player and soloist, and yes he defintely swings on electric. I first heard him on some Gillespie UN Orchestra recording and was pretty shocked as to why i had not heard of him before.

I did a Jamey Aebersold course in Richmond a few years back (with an electric bass) & although nobody actually said it out loud, I got the vibe from one or two of the upright students that ours was the lesser instrument. The two bass teachers Bob Sinicrope & John Goldsby were both pretty cool about the electric guys being there (top fellas the pair of them!!).

The electric bass has already played it's part in the history of Jazz, & will continue to do so for years to come. I agree the two basses are tonally different, but both perform the same function. Doublers like Stanley Clarke & John Patitucci spring to mind - quality players on both instruments.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.