Why become a member? ×

Bass skin cracks..

Musicman69

Hi All,

Any ideas what I should do about this..

[attachment=44332:RIMG0033.gif]

It started cracking and flaking (bad skin!) last year and is steadily getting worse.
Ive no plans to sell this bass so a DIY job will do unless its a serious issue.
Its a StingRay and I look after it very well, ie never expose it to extreme temperatures, no sharp buttons or buckles etc.
Mystery to me why this happened in the first place!

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

John

[quote name='Musicman69' post='766856' date='Mar 7 2010, 01:31 PM']Hi All,

Any ideas what I should do about this..

[attachment=44332:RIMG0033.gif]

It started cracking and flaking (bad skin!) last year and is steadily getting worse.
Ive no plans to sell this bass so a DIY job will do unless its a serious issue.
Its a StingRay and I look after it very well, ie never expose it to extreme temperatures, no sharp buttons or buckles etc.
Mystery to me why this happened in the first place!

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

John[/quote]

It's a bit late but: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI[/url]

Nothing short of a refinish will really sort that!

Edited by KiOgon

I've not had this personally happen to me, though a 'colleague' had an early 90's Stingray that did the same as this about 3-4 years from new. Apparently it was put down to a paint defect. As I recall it ended up as a refinish though I think EB may have picked up all/some of the tab.

[quote name='martthebass' post='767915' date='Mar 8 2010, 01:22 PM']I've not had this personally happen to me, though a 'colleague' had an early 90's Stingray that did the same as this about 3-4 years from new. Apparently it was put down to a paint defect. As I recall it ended up as a refinish though I think EB may have picked up all/some of the tab.[/quote]

Thanks for that.
Its an early 90s alright, I wonder where EB would tell me to shove it if I looked for a refinish :)

[quote name='Musicman69' post='767945' date='Mar 8 2010, 01:38 PM']Thanks for that.
Its an early 90s alright, I wonder where EB would tell me to shove it if I looked for a refinish :)[/quote]

Don't think I'd bother going on the forum.... :rolleyes:

Might be worth trying a direct contact tho.......but based on the age etc?