Why become a member? ×

Anybody know any bass guitar teachers in Cornwall?

cameltoe

I'm wanting to brush up my technique, have someone assess my left and right hand positions, and generally make me a better player all round! A lot of teachers near me are guitar players who also teach bass. I'm not suggesting I won't learn anything off them, but for fear of being taught theory by someone who seldom picks up a bass I'd like an actual bass player, one with experience I can draw from, who can push my playing on a bit.

Any ideas?

[quote name='cameltoe' post='763977' date='Mar 4 2010, 02:25 PM']I'm wanting to brush up my technique, have someone assess my left and right hand positions, and generally make me a better player all round! A lot of teachers near me are guitar players who also teach bass. I'm not suggesting I won't learn anything off them, but for fear of being taught theory by someone who seldom picks up a bass I'd like an actual bass player, one with experience I can draw from, who can push my playing on a bit.

Any ideas?[/quote]

Afraid it's a difficult one. I live in n.devon and am encountering similar problems. My wife works in a school and asked one of the visiting music tutors if he knew of anyone in our area who taught bass. He taught bass himself but is a multi instrumentalist and fully booked. So no further forward unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, In Cornwall try Damian Rodd [email protected].

He's based in Falmouth but should be able to point you in the right direction if thats too far.

Devon - Al Swainger in Exeter [url="http://www.myspace.com/alswainger"]http://www.myspace.com/alswainger[/url]

Can't find his number at the mo but you can get him via myspace.

Hope this helps, Dan Ezard

[quote name='cameltoe' post='763977' date='Mar 4 2010, 03:25 PM']I'm wanting to brush up my technique, have someone assess my left and right hand positions, and generally make me a better player all round! A lot of teachers near me are guitar players who also teach bass. I'm not suggesting I won't learn anything off them, but for fear of being taught theory by someone who seldom picks up a bass I'd like an actual bass player, one with experience I can draw from, who can push my playing on a bit.

Any ideas?[/quote]

If you're anywhere near Bodmin, I know a chap...

Pete.

• 1 month later...

I teach in West Cornwall (I live in Helston can travel as far East as Truro or at a stretch Newquay) What sort of level are you? I'm more of an improvising bassist/double bass player than a slap and pop guy but it depends what sort of things you're looking to learn. PM if you're interested.

[quote name='GaryTheBassMan' post='812119' date='Apr 20 2010, 01:01 AM']I live in Camelford and Im teaching!! I normally give a free first session to asses, if you dont know what you want to improve precisely!!

If you want to know any more give me a shout on:

[email protected][/quote]

Do I take it you live in Camelford by your Basschat name? :)

• 1 year later...

I appreciate that this thread goes back to Summer 2010, but I've recently moved to Cornwall and I'm looking for a good teacher.

Nothing flash or modern; I really like to play country-orientated/oldies and a bit of pop/rock type-stuff and I actually quite enjoy theory.

If no one picks up on this, I'll PM some of the people suggested above.