Why become a member? ×

Steinberger L2 1983

Pete Academy

I've been considering selling my 1983 Steinberger L2, serial number 610. Steinberger sticker logo (not stamped) and push-in knee rest. I changed the single tone pot for an EMG bass/treble active stacked and have unfortunately lost the original pot and knob. It's well gigged.

This bass is the actual one featured in the Tony Bacon 'Ultimate Guitar Book', as I loaned them the instrument for it.

I was hoping for a couple of grand, but that might be a bit optimistic in the current economic climate. I would consider a swap for a nice 70s Jazz, preferably maple neck with pearl block inlays.

If anyone is remotely interested, I can put pics up.

80s covers band anyone? :)

Dear Points Of View... why, oh why, oh why do people always pidgeonhole Steinbergers as "80's basses"?? I might be interested if you're including a mullet wig and a pair of legwarmers in the sale, though... :rolleyes:

Another Steinberger owner

P.S. You could try posting on the Steinbergerworld group on Yahoo, or the much-maligned eBay, of course - I sold an L2 on there not long ago. You should still get at least 1500, as long as you're willing to ship to Europe.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='761482' date='Mar 2 2010, 08:21 AM']I've been considering selling my 1983 Steinberger L2, serial number 610. Steinberger sticker logo (not stamped) and push-in knee rest. I changed the single tone pot for an EMG bass/treble active stacked and have unfortunately lost the original pot and knob. It's well gigged.

This bass is the actual one featured in the Tony Bacon 'Ultimate Guitar Book', as I loaned them the instrument for it.

I was hoping for a couple of grand, but that might be a bit optimistic in the current economic climate. I would consider a swap for a nice 70s Jazz, preferably maple neck with pearl block inlays.

If anyone is remotely interested, I can put pics up.

80s covers band anyone? :)[/quote]

[quote name='lowregisterhead' post='761501' date='Mar 2 2010, 08:46 AM']Dear Points Of View... why, oh why, oh why do people always pidgeonhole Steinbergers as "80's basses"?? I might be interested if you're including a mullet wig and a pair of legwarmers in the sale, though... :rolleyes:

Another Steinberger owner

P.S. You could try posting on the Steinbergerworld group on Yahoo, or the much-maligned eBay, of course - I sold an L2 on there not long ago. You should still get at least 1500, as long as you're willing to ship to Europe.[/quote]

Mmm...well I thought the clue was in the year, as in 1983. No?

I might try eBay. Cheers. :)

Yes, but no, not really. They were made up until 1998. The earlier ones are definitely better, though, IMHO. Good luck with the sale!

LRH

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='761505' date='Mar 2 2010, 08:56 AM']Mmm...well I thought the clue was in the year, as in 1983. No?

I might try eBay. Cheers. :)[/quote]

[quote name='lowregisterhead' post='761507' date='Mar 2 2010, 08:59 AM']Yes, but no, not really. They were made up until 1998. The earlier ones are definitely better, though, IMHO. Good luck with the sale!

LRH[/quote]

To be honest, I've seen very few people using them lately.

There was one I saw that sold in Europe for 2200 euros. It was in better nick than mine and was totally original, but the serial number was in the 1300s. That's what makes me think mine is just as valuable. If I can't get near that amount or swap it for a nice Jazz, I'll keep hold of it.

Thanks for the info. :)

It is a weird old market for these, because despite being genuinely great basses, some people are completely dismissive of the Steinberger, although you can be pretty certain none of them have ever even picked one up.

I've had three XL2s and an L2 over the years, and I still have a very rare XL-5W 5-string - I've referred to them all as my 'Marmite' basses - people either love them, or really, really hate 'em! Post some pictures. You might be surprised at the level of interest.

LRH

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='761513' date='Mar 2 2010, 09:03 AM']To be honest, I've seen very few people using them lately.

There was one I saw that sold in Europe for 2200 euros. It was in better nick than mine and was totally original, but the serial number was in the 1300s. That's what makes me think mine is just as valuable. If I can't get near that amount or swap it for a nice Jazz, I'll keep hold of it.

Thanks for the info. :)[/quote]

I had the pleasure of playing this bass 'live' back in 1983 when Pete brought it to several gigs - it played like a dream & sounded like the dog's dangley bits!

If I still had my early 70's Jazz - I'd be beating a path to your door Pete :) !

Have a bump for a truly outstanding instrument - unfortunately I only have a Hohner B2 & Steinberger Spirit - which are great basses, but if memory serves, they don't have the same 'growl' as this beauty does & then some!!

All the best with the trade/sale Pete - if my numbers come up this week, I'll see you on Monday :rolleyes: !

Tim.

ps - forget about that '80's thang' guys - 'this bass' would hold it's own in any line up - mullets or not :lol: !!

[quote name='lowregisterhead' post='762382' date='Mar 2 2010, 11:18 PM']It is a weird old market for these, because despite being genuinely great basses, some people are completely dismissive of the Steinberger, although you can be pretty certain none of them have ever even picked one up.

I've had three XL2s and an L2 over the years, and I still have a very rare XL-5W 5-string - I've referred to them all as my 'Marmite' basses - people either love them, or really, really hate 'em! Post some pictures. You might be surprised at the level of interest.

LRH[/quote]

[quote name='lowregisterhead' post='761507' date='Mar 2 2010, 08:59 AM']Yes, but no, not really. They were made up until 1998. The earlier ones are definitely better, though, IMHO. Good luck with the sale!

LRH[/quote]

Personally, I'd disagree. I had, albeit on LT loan, an L2 for a few months and then eventually got the XL2A and I have to say the latter is the superior instrument, both in looks and tonal variation. The Steinberger sound is still presnet on both, though.