Why become a member? ×

Pedal order!

TGEvans

Bit of a follow on from my last post regarding power supplies. If i did get hold of a Korg pitchblack could I power my boss oc2 and digitech bass distortion from it? That would mean that I would not need my maplin power supply. And which order should they go in? Thanks, T.

should go tuner-octave-distortion since the first two need to track pitch accurately and a distorted signal is much harder to track. As for the power, the korg website is a bit ambiguous saying 200mA to multiple pedals...? not sure if that's 200mA total or for each pedal. might not be enough, worth contacting korg to check.

hope that helps!

sorry to hijack your thread but i have basically the same question, which order do i put my pedals in?

Ehx bass micro synth
Ehx small stone
Mxr bass blowtorch
Behringer bddi21

I want to keep the behringer at the end of the chain to use as a di, but not sure about the rest

There's no "right order" you can put them in any order, but the GENERAL rule I use is:

Pitch shifting (octavers)> distortion > filters (incl. wahs) > modulation (phaser, chorus etc.) > time based (delay, reverb echo etc.)

Compressors are personal taste depending on what you want to use it for, for peak limiting it should go at the end, but some people put it in the middle. Distortion and filters is a preference thing, I like mine distortion into filter as it gives a very synthy vocal type sound, filter then distortion is much subtler. Some people like distortion into pitch shifting, depends how good the tracking is. Obviously if you're using a driver-di as a di it needs to be at the end, also a lot of people put boosts at the end of the chain. If you've only got a few pedals mess around and see which orders you like

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='761041' date='Mar 1 2010, 06:45 PM']Pitch shifting (octavers)> distortion > filters (incl. wahs) > modulation (phaser, chorus etc.) > time based (delay, reverb echo etc.)[/quote]

This seems to be the most common order I've seen suggested both on here and on TB, and it's the order I'm using now and will be using once I've got everything I want, with the exception of my wah going before my distortion.

On compressors, I'm still not 100% sure whether I want a comp at the end or up front, and I'd be very interested to hear opinions/experiences.

I'd imagine up front would even out playing foibles, but would still allow the dynamics of every following pedal to happen as intended.

And maybe at the end would still even out playing foibles, but could also reduce the dynamics of the preceding pedals, possibly (probably?) undoing or diminishing any level-boosting.

Mark

Edited by Phaedrus

[quote name='Currrls' post='761367' date='Mar 1 2010, 11:42 PM']what does a synth count as?[/quote]

Dang, knew I forgot something. I consider synths as just a blend of octaver filter and distortion/fuzz (because that's all most of them are, especially the BMS). Your pedals I would put BMS > Blowtorch > Small Stone > BBDDI. But that's because I like to put gated fuzzes last in the dirt order, try blowtorch > BMS, but because the BMS has it's own fuzz you probably won't notice much difference with that.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='761041' date='Mar 1 2010, 06:45 PM']There's no "right order" you can put them in any order, but the GENERAL rule I use is:

Pitch shifting (octavers)> distortion > filters (incl. wahs) > modulation (phaser, chorus etc.) > time based (delay, reverb echo etc.)[/quote]

I have mine similar to this, only I swap the pitch shifers and the filters around. I also like using a
compressor at the end of the chain to smooth things out.

My current signal chain goes..... Filters>Distortion>Pitch>Modulation>Time>Compression