Why become a member? ×

String Identification

Mr Bassman

Hi all,
I'm just trying different strings out on my Kolstein Travel Bass and I've found a set I'd taken off a bass some time ago, I'm not sure what they are.
Maybe Thomastik Superflexible?

They are really smooth and flexible.
[attachment=43570:DSC03601.JPG]

I've fitted the D string so it's not in the pic, it's red at the peg box end.

The others are
G - brown
A - black
E - green

they don't appear to be listed on this [url="http://www.quinnviolins.com/qv_stringidsearch.shtml"]string identification website[/url]

cheers

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='757727' date='Feb 25 2010, 11:37 PM']I've no idea what they are, but they're not superflexibles. Superflexibles are light blue at both ends and have a barrel shaped ball. Hope that helps even slightly![/quote]

Thanks BOTB

I've put the whole set on and I can't believe the sound and playability of this bass.

Must find out what these strings are!

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='757766' date='Feb 26 2010, 12:38 AM']Thanks BOTB

I've put the whole set on and I can't believe the sound and playability of this bass.

Must find out what these strings are![/quote]

they're definitely Pirastros, look like Flexocor to me but the bottoms look a bit too red in the pics. Think they're usually darker.

[quote name='chrkelly' post='757833' date='Feb 26 2010, 07:21 AM']they're definitely Pirastros, look like Flexocor to me but the bottoms look a bit too red in the pics. Think they're usually darker.[/quote]

Thanks Chris,

They were on a bass I bought about three years ago which had been set up for orchestral playing.
They could be a few years old but not had much use.

I've played on them again this morning and I'm still liking them on the Kolstein.

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='757990' date='Feb 26 2010, 11:04 AM']Hard to tell from the pic but if they are bright orange they look like thomastic belcantos.
Great place for string ID is contrabass shop as they have pics of each string. . Shame about the crazy prices .[/quote]

Definitely red, but could be ruby, according to Pirastro website would be Flexocor

• 1 month later...