3 hours ago, disssa said:

zerofive audio LowRider clone

I did wonder with the EQP sticker if it was Pultec related and the lowrider is

stompbox version of a legendary studio EQ, the Pultec EQP-1A,

Nice. Does it do the trick?

On 15/03/2024 at 19:11, disssa said:

From big to small:

Equinox_vergleich.jpg.5aba4df014557613d2a90ca85de6dac8.jpg

I was thinking of building one of these pultec pedals to go in front of a Noble preamp build...

Peavey Standard 260 Series Preamp:

standard260.jpg.0d0e6568142d2c9d5c393a5f2b9fe3e9.jpg

standard260_open.jpg.9eefe28d4774464879061a2af3b19c1c.jpg

2-Channel Preamp: Channel 1 "Effects" and Channel 2 "Normal". A rotary switch can be used to choose channel 1 or 2, or channel 1 and 2 parallel or in series

• Like 8

Don't know if anyone has the the Fuzzdog Logical thread that I did  recently. Someone is building it me. Anyway, in it I said I'm gonna do the bazz fuzz as my first build.

I'm going to order it today. Does anyone have any experience of spray painting the enclosure?

Is it just the same as spraying a guitar but using auto paint instead? 

It's more the prep I need to know.

Do you sand enclosure to 320 grit?

Do you sand between coats?

Do you polish the clear coat at the end?

Cheers

People do it lots of different ways, my general method -

Drill first

Sand with 400 grit

Coat of primer, dry

Coat of paint, dry

2nd coat, dry

Apply label graphics

Coat of clear coat, dry

2nd coat of clear coat, dry

Sometimes 3rd coat of clear coat

The clear coat I use is good but it takes a.while to dry properly, in summer I stick them outside under a pyrex bowl to get the benefit of UV - I've toyed with getting a UV lamp.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobbass4k said:

People do it lots of different ways, my general method -

Drill first

Sand with 400 grit

Coat of primer, dry

Coat of paint, dry

2nd coat, dry

Apply label graphics

Coat of clear coat, dry

2nd coat of clear coat, dry

Sometimes 3rd coat of clear coat

The clear coat I use is good but it takes a.while to dry properly, in summer I stick them outside under a pyrex bowl to get the benefit of UV - I've toyed with getting a UV lamp.

Cheers,

So no sanding between coats and you don't have to polish the clearcoat.

Thanks a lot 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lidl e said:

I took the plunge with my first kit.

Let's see if i can figure this out. 

It's a HPF/LPF clone kit from das musikding

IMG-20240416-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.861b62360a7101014c6bff6438727028.jpeg

Ooooh nice, I’ll be watching with interest as I was looking at the vong filterung a few weeks ago. Is that the same kit or a different one?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

Ooooh nice, I’ll be watching with interest as I was looking at the vong filterung a few weeks ago. Is that the same kit or a different one?

that's the PedalPCB version of a Broughton High Pass/Low pass

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, lidl e said:

I took the plunge with my first kit.

Let's see if i can figure this out. 

It's a HPF/LPF clone kit from das musikding

IMG-20240416-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.861b62360a7101014c6bff6438727028.jpeg

I made one of those recently. All came together quite easily, although I had some sort of brain fade when doing the drilling and put the hole for the LED on a direct line between the two upper pots, so had to stick a screw in that hole and drill a higher one. Must get round to putting some labels on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassybert said:

See below.

Hopefully there will be something to follow along. I'll either really get into it or it will be sitting in it's box for months waiting!

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

that's the PedalPCB version of a Broughton High Pass/Low pass

Recommended to me by your fine self! 

20 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I made one of those recently. All came together quite easily, although I had some sort of brain fade when doing the drilling and put the hole for the LED on a direct line between the two upper pots, so had to stick a screw in that hole and drill a higher one. Must get round to putting some labels on it.

I ordered a predrilled enclosure!

Made it easy on myself first time...

Is a kit considered DIY? I suppose it is.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lidl e said:

I ordered a predrilled enclosure!

Made it easy on myself first time...

Is a kit considered DIY? I suppose it is.

Well, you're going from a completely disassembled state to a completely assembled one, and doing it yourself, so yes. The next step is to be @disssa, deconstruct an existing design, design your own PCB, and build that. Next stage from that is to get a copy of Horowitz and Hill and any relevant IC design documents and design your own effect from the ground up. I suspect that even the most dedicated purist would stop short of manufacturing their own components, so that's about as DIY as you could get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

Well, you're going from a completely disassembled state to a completely assembled one, and doing it yourself, so yes. The next step is to be @disssa, deconstruct an existing design, design your own PCB, and build that. Next stage from that is to get a copy of Horowitz and Hill and any relevant IC design documents and design your own effect from the ground up. I suspect that even the most dedicated purist would stop short of manufacturing their own components, so that's about as DIY as you could get.

I don't know how the rest of you feel, but i think anyone who doesn't have a small semiconductor fab in their shed and a resistor winding station in their bathroom is just a poser.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

I’m going one step further. Currently investing in my future pedal endeavours by planting trees for carbon, mining ore for metal and have a couple of silicon and germanium saplings ready for planting out - It’s the only way you’ll get the authentic tone 🤪

• Haha 3

ok. I think i can do this...

i hope you fellas can bear with me with some very basic questions!

First off, i dont need this schematic to build this, right? I've got the bits and a BOM that corresponds to the PCB layout.  Ive got that figured out. 

But i dont really need to know what this is showing me ( i can get the gist from the parts list)

Screenshot_20240416_192213_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.5a5e79e92bbd1890ccf8f5cd7d0c2968.jpg

Second basic question. On the input and output jacks, which lug gets the red and which lig gets the black?

Screenshot_20240416_192101_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.a9e94f5b840a2dc7399b5808f9a2f81f.jpg

I assume the one on the left is the red wire and the one in the right is black?

20240416_192839.thumb.jpg.03e404529860ca535dbdecdb6e4cdf90.jpg

Click through the build for the Vong - it’s the same principles 

start with small things and work your way up 

https://schalltechnik04.de/en/instructions/vong-filterung/5

go slowly, check orientation of things that have polarity. It is worth following which part is where on the schematic just because then you know where things are. 
go slowly, make sure each solder is good.

when soldering the footswitch do each joint and then let it cool before doing the next 

• Like 1

Also, there should be a layout with the kit that gives you the location of each component and it’s orientation if it’s polarised. 

Judging by the questions you’re asking I’d definitely have a read of Fuzzdog’s pedal building guide before you start. Some of it only applies to the kits they sell but there’s loads of good info on the basics that will help you a lot. 

Your can find it at…

http://pedalparts.co.uk/docs/GeneralBuildGuide.pdf

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

Also, there should be a layout with the kit that gives you the location of each component and it’s orientation if it’s polarised. 

PedalPCB do really good PCB layouts, and then fairly minimal parts list and Schematic... https://docs.pedalpcb.com/project/FrequencyInterchange-PedalPCB.pdf 
The PCB has the values on it I think? 

• Like 2