Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

I started looking at the Pi Pico when I ran into problems with the Arduino switcher - basically, it would switch up and down, but needed two button presses to switch once. I built a USB sniffer with a Pico - https://github.com/ataradov/usb-sniffer-lite and discovered that it was an issue with USB not being ready, and put in the delay loop that I mention.

The USB sniffer (as you and others may find it useful):

USBsniffer.thumb.jpg.a001d53ee596f6aacd005a90e2a27d82.jpg

Anyroadup, once I got the Arduino working, I stopped looking at the Pico. It did seem interesting though. I may go back to it.

• Like 1

I see a few questions on spray painting enclosures. I find the MTN94 graffiti paint works really well with very little prep. Depending on the enclosure you may need to use a degreaser but otherwise there's no need to sand the case before or during coats. To get a nice shiny finish I get a good wet spray of their glossy varnish. 

I use a toaster oven for each coat but it will also dry pretty well in a few days on its own.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moose23 said:

I see a few questions on spray painting enclosures. I find the MTN94 graffiti paint works really well with very little prep. Depending on the enclosure you may need to use a degreaser but otherwise there's no need to sand the case before or during coats. To get a nice shiny finish I get a good wet spray of their glossy varnish. 

I use a toaster oven for each coat but it will also dry pretty well in a few days on its own.

I've often wondered what you use Moose! Thanks for the info!

On 16/04/2024 at 10:46, lidl e said:

I took the plunge with my first kit.

Let's see if i can figure this out. 

It's a HPF/LPF clone kit from das musikding

IMG-20240416-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.861b62360a7101014c6bff6438727028.jpeg

Ok, so i finally got around to starting this.....

And i already messed up! 

(I put a resistor into a capacitor slot and clipped it!)

Not sure if catastrophic or not yet, but i did definitely learn some lessons already. 

I think i got the actual soldering bit down, but i think i should populate everything forst instead if going one at a time.

Is there an easy way to remove resistors once put on the board? How about removing solder from a hole that it got into?

Those are my two issues currently

Also, i assume you can overheat parts?

I might have to source a few new resistors!

Edited by lidl e

Solder sucker to desolder the component and clear the hole. Alternatively, put a jeweller's flat-bladed screwdriver under one end of the resistor to apply a little gentle tension and then melt the joint, and repeat for the other end, but if you then have a blocked hole, melt the solder and put minimum pressure on the lead when pushing the right component in to avoid lifting the track off the PCB. Heating up resistors soldering them shouldn't hurt them.

I generally populate boards by putting a few components in at a time, soldering them and then snipping the leads. Resistors first, then diodes, then capacitors, followed by IC sockets and then transistors - the lowest profile components go in first so you're not hampered putting them in by taller ones.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Resistors first, then diodes, then capacitors, followed by IC sockets and then transistors - the lowest profile components go in first so you're not hampered putting them in by taller ones.

This