Why become a member? ×

Aguilar GS410 vs DB410 help required!

jsixties

Hi mates,
Some urgent help required. I purchased these past days a couple of Aguilar GS410 4 Ohm to match my DB751 and looks like will be a delay in arrive to my country, so the Aguilar wholesaler can change my order for a couple of DB410 in stock at the same price.
So the question is: Worth this change?
I had one GS410 in the past and I loved it, great low end, perfectly tonal balanced and a couple of DB212 that weren't my cup of tea at all, too midrange oriented, boomy and without the "dry" bottom end that I like.
I know the DB410 is not a DB212 but as I can't try it what's your opinion about? Any experience with the DB410 beyond Aguilar says in their site?
I play all kind of music so I need a "workhorse" for any situation.
Regards and BIG thanks in advance for your time.

No real experience to draw on, the only Aquilar cab that I've owned was a DB112. However, from what you said I expect that you will be happier with the GS cabs. Looks like a risk to take the DB's without a chance to try them, given that you already know and love the GS410 tone.

Good luck whatever you decide..

Owned both...... used them both with a DB750 live and the GS410's with a DB680/DB728 (see avatar)

The DB410 is too thick and lumpy (for my taste) with the Aggie amps.....

GS410 is a better live solution at volume

Mark

Edited by Marcus

Thanks guys!
How do you see these GS410 in the 8 Ohm version? These ones are available just now in my dealer and I can pick up those cabinets at a slightly better price than the 4 Ohm ones.
I know I get half of the power with the 4 Ohm cabs, but maybe the head works better and cooler that way and the sound will be the same... or better.
Sorry for the bothering but any experience that slant the 8 Ohm GS410 over the 4 Ohm ones?
I know I'm irritating but is a great investment just now for me.

[quote name='jsixties' post='755751' date='Feb 24 2010, 04:56 AM']Thanks guys!
How do you see these GS410 in the 8 Ohm version? These ones are available just now in my dealer and I can pick up those cabinets at a slightly better price than the 4 Ohm ones.
I know I get half of the power with the 4 Ohm cabs, but maybe the head works better and cooler that way and the sound will be the same... or better.
Sorry for the bothering but any experience that slant the 8 Ohm GS410 over the 4 Ohm ones?
I know I'm irritating but is a great investment just now for me.[/quote]

I forsee a gig situation where a pair of 8ohm GS410's driven by a DB750 wouldn't be loud enough !

In reality the difference between a pair of 8ohm and a pair of 4 ohm wouldn't be that noticable give the power and headroom of the 750 at any 4 or 2 ohm. Arguably the 8ohm cabs will sound better due to more efficient cone damping at 8ohms

Buy the 8ohm GS410's and live happily ever after

You're great Mark. Truly appreciated your help.

I'm going to order the couple in 8 Ohm instead of the 4 Ohm, more than sure will sound better when using both with the DB750 so as you said there's not a huge difference in terms of preassure and headroom between 975 watts @ 2 ohms and 750 watts @ 4 ohms but a better damping.

Worst part will be in gigs using only one cabinet (small pubs, rehersals, etc) so 750 watts @ 4 ohms and 400 watts @ 8 ohms I guess marks a difference more noticeably.
Don't you think so?

400 (Aguilar) Watts into a quality 410 like the GS will produce bucket loads of volume for most gig situations

If it isn't enough..... take the other one as well !

I regularly used to take both 410's but only plug in the top 410

Unless you're playing stadiums (where most of the time you'd have IEM's anyway) you'll never need more than you'll have with this set up

[quote name='jsixties' post='755987' date='Feb 24 2010, 12:23 PM']Worst part will be in gigs using only one cabinet (small pubs, rehersals, etc) so 750 watts @ 4 ohms and 400 watts @ 8 ohms I guess marks a difference more noticeably.
Don't you think so?[/quote]

jsixties,

have you tried the GS212? If you loved the GS410, you might find on the GS212 the kind of sound you're looking for. It matches really well those vintage P sounds i believe you like.

i use my 8 ohm GS212 at small pubs and most of the time that's really enough. At larger venues an extra cab is welcome, as well as the help of the PA subs.

Hi Antonio,
We meet at any spanish forums. :) Thanks for the advice but the GS410's at 8 Ohm are already on the way to me.
Truly interesting your comments about the GS212, I never played with those cabs so my experience with the DB212 was awful but I will give a try in the future for sure.
Thanks mate.