Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting back into bass

Muddythespark

Hi there, im looking for some advice please. After a 10 year break, im getting back into playing bass after a failed attempt to convert myself into a guitarist. Having sold my gear on ebay recently and purchased an 1982 ABM 2x10 combo (which needs a good service) im left with a few quid to by a decent bass. Im looking at a couple of different one's and this is where i could do with some honest advice to help make the right descision.

My main choices are all second hand:

warwick thumb 4 string fretted.

Kubicki ex factor 4 string fretted.

Status s2 headed/headless 4 string fretted.

I have previously owned an S2 and a Kubicki and loved the sound of both.

My main styles/ influences are cream/ zep / floyd/ powerstation/ foo fighters to mention a few.

Any pointers would be a great help.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='754101' date='Feb 22 2010, 05:35 PM']All of the above mentioned, are top notch quality basses :rolleyes: You could possibly add an original Steinberger,to your list :)
If you're gonna sell/buy equipment ,you'd do much better here than flea bay.[/quote]

There's a couple of great basses on flea ebay at the mo. I know it can be a rip off but sometimes the odd Jem comes along.

Many thanks

Marc

i have two oppinions of the basses you've mentioned..

1. If you had kubicki and status before, maybe will be good to kep the whole 80's super instrument/headless vibe going, as you may be dissapointed wit the thumb..

2. But the thumb is a great bass, and perhaps after a your hiatus it would be cool to go in a new direction :)

not helpful i imagine lol

[quote name='JMT3781' post='755122' date='Feb 23 2010, 03:58 PM']i have two oppinions of the basses you've mentioned..

1. If you had kubicki and status before, maybe will be good to kep the whole 80's super instrument/headless vibe going, as you may be dissapointed wit the thumb..

2. But the thumb is a great bass, and perhaps after a your hiatus it would be cool to go in a new direction :)

not helpful i imagine lol[/quote]

I gave a beautiful USA jazz 4 string a going over today at my local sweet shop (PMT) and fell in love with it, deposit paid!!!
Hopefully collect on Friday....

:rolleyes: