Why become a member? ×

A friend of mine needs an opinion

davidmpires

As I write this I realise that it may not be the right place Mods please remove if that's the case.

A friend of mine here at work started playing the bass last year and his missus bought him a bass and he uses the church gear to practice on sundays.
he asked about a practice amp, and I suggested the following.

Fender Rumble 15 he likes this one co's it has an external input for a cd player etc...
Warwick Blue Cab 15, I have the 30 version and swear by it, I wish I had the external input though
Roland cube the tiny one.

Now he doesn't have a lot of cash and I have no more ideas, do you guys know of any other practice amps that are good and don't break the bank?

Cheers

David

they sound fine.
Im a big fan of the little peavey amps as well. Nice and small but loud enough to play in certain band arrangements.
Ive seen them on here for 35-50 quid.
Not often I reccomend behringer but I quite like their small wedge bass amps which are cheap as chips as well. (I'll probably get flamed for reccomending them but hey, its got a cd input, graphic eq etc.)

I bought an Ibanez swx35. It's got plenty enough of features, CD/MP3 input, headphone socket, line out and other stuff. Does alright for me. Can be a bit hissy.
Would probably suggest the perfect 10 though, or possibly a Line 6 if he can stretch that far.(not quite sure about their price, TBH)

Edited by Marvin

For a beginner or even an old hand, the Fender B-Dec is awesome, everything you could need in a practice amp and more.
Drum machine, phrase sampler and looper, virtual band backing tracks and exercises, theory exercises and scales, arpeggios etc....

Really can't think of anything better to learn with.

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='754006' date='Feb 22 2010, 04:30 PM']Not often I reccomend behringer but I quite like their small wedge bass amps which are cheap as chips as well. (I'll probably get flamed for reccomending them but hey, its got a cd input, graphic eq etc.)[/quote]

I'd also recommend the Behringer BX108. I've owned one for about 8 years, using it regularly for home practice. It's very solidly built - I've never had any problem with it. I compared it side-by side with a Peavey Microbass when I bought it and the Behringer won hands down. It has a good tone, line inputs/outputs and actually looks nice (IMHO) with its retro styling. Retails new from around £60.

I have a Fat Rat 60w Practice amp and its great for bedroom practice.
I had never heard of them before I found it in my local guitar shop, but tried it and liked it.

There's one on ebay atm [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-FAT-RAT-FR60B-60-Watt-Bass-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ330405616743QQcategoryZ58719QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8048028979843026008"]Ebay Link[/url]