Why become a member? ×

Motown

molan

I have some serious time on my hands to listen to music at the moment and, after a couple of semi-disastrous attempts at modern prog, drifted back into Motown this afternoon.

Had great fun listening to a Diana Ross (and Supremes on some songs) 40 greatest hits and trying to identify the bassist.

Some obvious Jamerson, a couple that sounded like they were played with a pick which I'm guessing was Carole Kaye and, of course the later stuff with Bernard Edwards.

I'm sure there's gonna be some Bob Babbit, maybe Chuck Rainey, Wilton Felder etc.

Just wondered if there's a site out there that takes a decent stab on who played on what across the Motown catalogue?

Towards the end I think the Motown record keeping became a bit patchy, and, apparently it wasn't unknown for certain producers to record several versions with different players and then overdub parts later!! James Jamerson also overdubbed many of the West Coast bass parts back in Detroit.