Why become a member? ×

German 5 string double bass *SOLD*

chrkelly

It's a great instrument that I've been playing a lot for theatre pit gigs, however I've since bought another instrument that's more similar in size and response to my 'main' bass.

Anyway, the label reads "Copy of Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 1721, made in Germany". No date stamp but it looks like it's maybe 40/50 years old. It's a pretty standard 3/4 size viol shape. The body is laminate along with a nice thick ebony fingerboard and tailpiece. Also has ebony strips lining the neck heel, something usually only seen on older expensive basses. Structure wise, it's quite solid. There's been repairs to the scroll and headstock that were carrried out by the respected London luthier Roger Dawson some time ago and have been stable ever since. The A string tuner paddle is missing. Tunes fine though, the mechanism is still perfect it just needs a new paddle stuck in the slot on the end of the peg.

Soundwise, it's very even string to string and bows very well. Tuning is stable. The fingerboard and bridge have a nice deep radius so arco is easy for a five string. The pizz sound is full with good sustain and projects well. String length is a comfortable 105cm. Comes strung with a set of a full set of Thomastik Spirocore mittels strung G to low B. A high C string is also included but not fitted. Hardcase shown is not included.

NOW SOLD

Edited by chrkelly

[quote name='chrkelly' post='750736' date='Feb 19 2010, 12:03 PM']It's a great little instrument that I bought last year to use in theatre pits and it has served me well, however I'm realising I need a better instrument for my orchestral gigs when bringing my good bass is not an option for fear of it getting smashed.

Anyway, the label reads "Copy of Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 1721, made in Germany". No real idea of how old it is but it's definitely modern, say sometime within the last 50 years. It's a pretty standard 3/4 size viol shape. The body is plywood along with a nice ebony fingerboard and tailpiece. Also has ebony strips lining the neck heel, something usually only seen on older expensive basses. Structure wise, it's quite solid. There's been repairs to the scroll and headstock and I've been informed by the previous owner that these were done by Roger Dawson some time ago and have been stable ever since. There's an open seam on the lower bout that I haven't had time to sort and the A string tuner paddle is missing. Tunes fine though, you just need pliers for any major adjustments.

Soundwise, it's great for a cheaper bass (the main reason I bought it). It's very even string to string and bows very very well for a plywood bass. Tuning is stable. The fingerboard and bridge have a nice deep radius so arco is easy for a fiver. String length is a comfortable 105cm. B string works fine for a bass of this size any the entire instrument amplifies well. Comes strung with a set of Spirocore mittels (not as pictured) and the pickup and quiver are NOT included in the sale. I need them for the new bass.

I'm looking for £1000,

the only trade I'll accept is a nice double bass (+cash from me obviously) although I'm very picky!

If you're interested send me a pm to arrange a tryout (based in Catford, SE London)

Cheers,
Chris[/quote]

I see there's a broken tuner, this might not be a problem if converted to for strings?

True, though it would need a new nut, bridge and tailpiece for the conversion. It's designed as a proper fiver though so the neck might feel a bit chunky with only 4 strings on it.

The tuner should be an easy fix though, just needs a new paddle stuck in the slot on the end of the peg. I've been using it since last summer this way with no problems though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...