Why become a member? ×

St Pat's night

bassninja

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='750644' date='Feb 19 2010, 10:47 AM']Err....how about The Who, The Jam, The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Stones, The Specials, Madness, Ian Dury...christ almighty they're all English. Why does everyone think you have to go back to Medieval times to celebrate your own culture?? :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Sure the English Song book is stuffed full with fine pop rock stuff ..

However we're a Ceilidh band. We play rock too but the core of our music is English Ceilidh like The Princess Royal, Clompton Bridge, Pepper in the Brandy etc. English but the general public think they are Irish or Scots because they are diddly...
That's my point.
If we were a rock covers band there would not be this problem - and we'd not get the call asking us to play Burns/St Pats/Andrews/Georges night...

[quote name='OldGit' post='751163' date='Feb 19 2010, 05:34 PM']Sure the English Song book is stuffed full with fine pop rock stuff ..

However we're a Ceilidh band. We play rock too but the core of our music is English Ceilidh like The Princess Royal, Clompton Bridge, Pepper in the Brandy etc. English but the general public think they are Irish or Scots because they are diddly...
That's my point.
If we were a rock covers band there would not be this problem - and we'd not get the call asking us to play Burns/St Pats/Andrews/Georges night...[/quote]

Ah...I see what you mean now. How about some John Tams' stuff? He's the one that stars in Sharp and also sings the theme tune. His music is pretty damn good as it goes, real English folk.

[url="http://www.johntams.co.uk/johntams/index.cfm"]http://www.johntams.co.uk/johntams/index.cfm[/url]

Also, I went to the the play Warhorse not so long ago and they had a bloke doing some of John Tarns' songs. Really good stuff, in fact, better than the play I reckon.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='751691' date='Feb 20 2010, 12:03 PM']Ah...I see what you mean now. How about some John Tams' stuff? He's the one that stars in Sharp and also sings the theme tune. His music is pretty damn good as it goes, real English folk.[/quote]

Bit of a side track, I know but...

Yes there are hours and hours of English folk and traditional tunes to play. However the problem is the perception of the audience.
We play "Old Joe Clarke", for example and the Americans think it's theirs,

the Celts think it's theirs and Ian Dury nicked it for Sex 'n' drugs and rock and roll (from an Ornette Coleman bassline) so is that an English tune anymore?
Anyway it's hypothetical as we'd never agree to play the themed nights anyway. There are just too many opinions about what is right and what is not.

[quote name='tombboy' post='751714' date='Feb 20 2010, 12:39 PM']Pretty sure I read somewhere that he was an English slave. :)[/quote]

He was Roman-British, probably from Wales somewhere. The Irish had big colonies in Wales, and raided the coast there all the time.

Yup, we have a colonial past too, but they don't tell us that in school :rolleyes:

Edited by fatback