Why become a member? ×

Midi files and Cubasse LE4 sound problem thing

thunderbird13

Right , you can tell by the title I haven’t a clue what I’m doing with recording and midi but basically I want to import a midi file into Cubase , play that back and at the samne time record a bass track over it so ultimately I will have the original midi file with my bass line over it on one file. Should be easy shouldn’t so why was it last night when I imported the midi file I couldn’t get a sound from it. I thought it could use the computer sound card is that wrong

Cheers

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='748651' date='Feb 17 2010, 04:46 PM']Right , you can tell by the title I haven’t a clue what I’m doing with recording and midi but basically I want to import a midi file into Cubase , play that back and at the samne time record a bass track over it so ultimately I will have the original midi file with my bass line over it on one file. Should be easy shouldn’t so why was it last night when I imported the midi file I couldn’t get a sound from it. I thought it could use the computer sound card is that wrong

Cheers[/quote]

Funnily enough I had the same problem last night and hadn't had any issues playing MiDi files previously. Not sure if you are using PC or Mac, but i'm using PC and it turned out that the SW Synth Channel on the Master Volume was set to Zero, so no sound. Cranked it up and hey presto.
I'm using Windows XP on this particular PC, so went to Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Volume Control and changed the setting.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='748682' date='Feb 17 2010, 05:08 PM']Funnily enough I had the same problem last night and hadn't had any issues playing MiDi files previously. Not sure if you are using PC or Mac, but i'm using PC and it turned out that the SW Synth Channel on the Master Volume was set to Zero, so no sound. Cranked it up and hey presto.
I'm using Windows XP on this particular PC, so went to Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Volume Control and changed the setting.[/quote]

Thanks - I should have said I'm running XP as well. I 'm pretty sure I turned everything up but I'll have a look again tonight

You need to run the midi file through a VSTi ( basically, an instrument added as an effect) to get sound - google 'free vsti' to see the multitude of free drums, pianos etc.

I use and recomend [url="http://www.reaper.fm/"]Reaper[/url] so I cant help with adding a VSTi to Cubase... to add a VSTi in reaper you simply add a midi file to a track click the track fx button and add the instument you want.

Reaper is an fully functional unexpiring demo,btw.

Edited by OldG

[quote name='cheddatom' post='749269' date='Feb 18 2010, 08:30 AM']You don't NEED a VSTi because there are some standard MIDI sounds built into windows (or standard soundcards, not sure).

You do have to set an output for your MIDI channel.[/quote]

Oops, It's been so long since I used the Microsoft SW synth - I'd forgotten all about it. I have only ever used MIDI for drums and keys as I record my own (and Wifey's) bass and guitar - so I never needed a full band file.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Cubase LE4 and what you need to do is load the midi and then assign midi sounds (they won't be done automatically). Cubase comes with Halion, which has a range of very basic vsti sounds, but you can add a piano sound to the piano track, percussion to the drums etc and it should replay.

Remember, though, that Cubase does come with a manual - the Getting Started one is definitely worth reading.

It took me a while to set up my dummy keyboard so it would make sounds.

The General Midi sounds you want to play are called Soundfonts, and your card may have them. If you want to use Cubase to play and record, you need a vsti or DX plugin that wil play soundfonts, so you can use that as an instrument in your Cubase track.

The good thing about using soundfonts is that you don;t have to find a sound for every instrument, and the thing about General Midi is that you don;t have to work out what MIDI channel should link to what instrument.

Here's a list of sound font players (you'll need to check which ones are vst1 or DX, some may be neither).

[url="http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/free-vst/soundfont"]http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/free-vst/soundfont[/url]

Have fun

Edited by fatback