Why become a member? ×

Needing a New Cab, Settled on Ampeg and 200W

AttitudeCastle

Hey All!

Ok, as it goes

Got my rig and i need a new cab 200W will suffice, and i've got my eye on some nice Ampeg gear!

Two Cabs i'm looking at
1)
SVT 210 AV £350 (NOTE: Prices are ROUGHLY and when New)

From the Ampeg Site:

LF Driver: 2 x 10" Eminence Speakers
RMS Power Handling: 200 Watts @ 8ohms
Frequency Response (-3dB): 58Hz-5kHz
Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 40Hz
Nominal Impedance: 1 x 8 ohms (Mono)
Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 13 x 24 x 11
Handling Weight: 25.9 Pounds

(Haven't a clue what most of the above means but still!)

Or

2) Ampeg B-410HE £500 or so

From the Ampeg Site:

LF Drivers: 4 x 10" Custom Designed Speakers
Voice Coil: 3"
Magnet Weight: 22 oz
HF Driver: Horn/Driver
Voice Coil: 1"
Magnet Weight: 8 oz
RMS Power Handling: 200-Watts
Frequency Response (-3dB): 55Hz-18kHz
Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 40Hz
Crossover Frequency: 4kHz
Nominal Impedance: 8-Ohms
Sensitivity: 95dB
Maximum SPL: 118dB
Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 22.75 x 22.75 x 17.5
Handling Weight: 62 Pounds

Looking for a good all round cab, and i am needing two cabs, but i need one first!

Anyone used both?
I don't have much experience with high quality gear so need advice

There is a B410HE in my local music Brucemillers at £500 or there abouts defo the top side of £500
But no way of testing it! =/

Anyone used both cabs or even better A/B'd them?

the the B410HE worth about £200 more?

Many Confused regards
Adam,

Note:
I know there is B410HE going for a fab price on here, but i still would need help in deciding what the second Cab would be!

[quote name='Monz' post='745994' date='Feb 15 2010, 03:48 PM']For the 4x10 have a quick look at MATAMP they are about the same price region but VERY good quality and will take 1200W. I have 2 of them and they really are good[/quote]

Thanks!

though 1200W is just a bit much!

As i am doing miked studio work and Smaller Gigs, and since i play a Yamaha Attitude I have two outputs, its 400W in total,

i was using a friends GK 2001RB bridged the tone at lower volumes wasn't quite there, and at higher volumes it was a bit too loud for the rest of the band an the venue

I've used an SVT pro 4 and SVT PRO pre amp through SVT410HE and an AVT810AV and i loved the tone!

I play rock, and with half of my signal distorted and sometimes octave fuzzed (though the Octave fuzz i borrow from a the same mate who owns the Fab rig! haha)

Have you considered the B-410hlf?
Lovely cabs and serious whack off them. the 410he seems a bit pricey at 500 new.
I have used one with an Ampeg SVT 3Pro and a b500DR and it sounds great, especially mic´d up.
Only thing is its 4ohms, so not sure if that fits in with your rig plans

FYI, I have one for sale. :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='746051' date='Feb 15 2010, 04:26 PM']Thanks!

though 1200W is just a bit much!

As i am doing miked studio work and Smaller Gigs, and since i play a Yamaha Attitude I have two outputs, its 400W in total,

i was using a friends GK 2001RB bridged the tone at lower volumes wasn't quite there, and at higher volumes it was a bit too loud for the rest of the band an the venue

I've used an SVT pro 4 and SVT PRO pre amp through SVT410HE and an AVT810AV and i loved the tone!

I play rock, and with half of my signal distorted and sometimes octave fuzzed (though the Octave fuzz i borrow from a the same mate who owns the Fab rig! haha)[/quote]

You can never have too much power handling though... What if you get your 200w cab and your needs change and you need more power? You'd have to change your head AND your cab...

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='746508' date='Feb 15 2010, 08:54 PM']You can never have too much power handling though... What if you get your 200w cab and your needs change and you need more power? You'd have to change your head AND your cab...[/quote]

But Surely You lose tone quality as your not driving the speakers at optimum performance levels?

And plus i mean not trying to come off as an arse (as i know i'm sounding like one and i apologise, i just have that way with words,) but i don't see my needs changing in the near future but you do raise a good point...

(Also Yamaha Attitude so in reality it would be 400W in total as i'd double the rig)

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='basshead56' post='746401' date='Feb 15 2010, 07:55 PM']Have you considered the B-410hlf?
Lovely cabs and serious whack off them. the 410he seems a bit pricey at 500 new.
I have used one with an Ampeg SVT 3Pro and a b500DR and it sounds great, especially mic´d up.
Only thing is its 4ohms, so not sure if that fits in with your rig plans

FYI, I have one for sale. :)[/quote]

Ha!

I've used one, Fab cabs!

Thing is i would need a Power amp (two Channel) as i'm using an Ampeg SVP BSP pre amp and i hope to add an SVP Pro too,

and for ease i'd like two identical cabs so what ever i have on one side i'd like on the other (I'm wierd like that... haha!)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='746769' date='Feb 16 2010, 01:32 AM']But Surely You lose tone quality as your not driving the speakers at optimum performance levels?[/quote]

I've never heard of a speaker designed for between two power ranges, typically they just quote the maximum sensible power they can eat. I'd imagine there's a good reason for that.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='746769' date='Feb 16 2010, 01:32 AM'](Also Yamaha Attitude so in reality it would be 400W in total as i'd double the rig)[/quote]

400w sounds like a lot of rig, but (bearing in mind I've never used a Billy Sheehan bass) do you actually mix both pickups 50:50? I would've thought the bass pickup would be more an afterthought, and most of the power would be dedicated to the P pickup.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='746776' date='Feb 16 2010, 01:48 AM']I would like to Add, my mind is useless a deciding wattages

As My only and older brother is convinced you could play An outdoor gig with 15W and that U2 play stadiums with only like five 30W heads and NO PA[/quote]

Well your older brother probably enjoyed all the mindbending drugs so let's not pick on him. I've had guitarists with 50w valve amps cause really irritatingly-sharp ear-hole annoying noises at rehearsals, and guitarists with 50w transistor heads fail to be heard over an un-miked drummer.

The accepted wisdom is that a bass guitar needs about 3x the power of a guitar (although this depends on the sort of sounds you're all using and whose manufacturers are honest about amp power output and speaker efficiency) to be as audible, and probably with 300w or so available and a decently efficient speaker set-up you'd be OK for anything that didn't have PA reinforcement. Personally I like to know I've got a bit more headroom than that, but in practice I never use it.

In your situation though, it's all about the balance between your two amps, and I can't see you using both 50:50, so think about that first - how you use your Billy Sheehan bass.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='746797' date='Feb 16 2010, 04:44 AM']I've never heard of a speaker designed for between two power ranges, typically they just quote the maximum sensible power they can eat. I'd imagine there's a good reason for that.

400w sounds like a lot of rig, but (bearing in mind I've never used a Billy Sheehan bass) do you actually mix both pickups 50:50? I would've thought the bass pickup would be more an afterthought, and most of the power would be dedicated to the P pickup.

Well your older brother probably enjoyed all the mindbending drugs so let's not pick on him. I've had guitarists with 50w valve amps cause really irritatingly-sharp ear-hole annoying noises at rehearsals, and guitarists with 50w transistor heads fail to be heard over an un-miked drummer.

The accepted wisdom is that a bass guitar needs about 3x the power of a guitar (although this depends on the sort of sounds you're all using and whose manufacturers are honest about amp power output and speaker efficiency) to be as audible, and probably with 300w or so available and a decently efficient
speaker set-up you'd be OK for anything that didn't have PA reinforcement. Personally I like to know I've got a bit more headroom than that, but in practice I never use it.

In your situation though, it's all about the balance between your two amps, and I can't see you using both 50:50, so think about that first - how you use your Billy Sheehan bass.[/quote]

Ha ha!

Thank you very very muchly!

I use both of the pickups on the Sheehan bass at almost Full volume when you combine them you lose output and the tone isn't quite there

The Pick ups are separate,

Volume wise, i'd say i run them almost equal but i'd say 55:45 or probably more realistically 60:40 the higher being the P pickup, The P is quite "thin" and doesn't really support the whole depth of the sound in a band context also having the two separate pick ups means you can use mostly what you like on the thinner pickup (The P pup) effects wise and still have the low end of the clean fat neck pick up

If that makes sense

I would like to say thank you for helping straighten out my mind!