Why become a member? ×

Left hand practice

essexbasscat

[quote name='endorka' post='762424' date='Mar 2 2010, 11:58 PM']The following links should help - they have fingerings for various scales using the Simandl method.

[url="http://doublebassblog.org/downloads/1_octave_scales_with_fingerings.pdf"]http://doublebassblog.org/downloads/1_octa..._fingerings.pdf[/url]
[url="http://doublebassblog.org/downloads/2_octave_scales_with_fingerings.pdf"]http://doublebassblog.org/downloads/2_octa..._fingerings.pdf[/url]

The "-" sign means a shift, which you can do, or in many cases replace with a pivot on the thumb for the bass guitar.

Jennifer[/quote]

That's very kind, thank you.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Having only recently taken up playing bass, (been a guitarist in a band for past 5 yrs), I wanted to ensure I followed the correct technique so went onto youtube to get knowledge of left hand finger positions. A tutor on there advised 1fpf but for newbies to practice it on the 9th fret. This seemed logical to me as it would be less strain. I copied the technique religiously, positioning my thumb correctly but nevertheless, I got a shooting pain in my hand and just couldn't do it. Maybe due to the fact that I have small hands and short fingers. So reading this topic has been very useful as I thought the 1fpf method was the only way I could become a competent bass player and was getting very disheartened when I couldn't do it without pain. Now I've heard of the Simandl method I feel so much better.
Perhaps someone could advise how I should finger the opening riff of Billy Idol's 'White Wedding' using this postioning:
G------------------
D----------------------
A-----5-7--9-9--7-5--
E-7-7--------------

I know I could compensate by playing elsewhere on the fretboard or using the D string instead of going to the 9th fret on the A, but it doesn't sound so good.
Thanks for any replies and all the help from the posts on this topic.
:0)

[quote name='skampino' post='784111' date='Mar 23 2010, 10:47 PM']Perhaps someone could advise how I should finger the opening riff of Billy Idol's 'White Wedding' using this postioning:[/quote]

Hopefully the font won't mess up the alignments too much - fingerings in red below the tab, "-" means shift:

G------------------
D----------------------
A-----5-7--9-9--7-5--
E-7-7--------------
..[color="#FF0000"] 4 4 1-1 4 4 -4 1[/color]

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='784137' date='Mar 23 2010, 11:03 PM']Hopefully the font won't mess up the alignments too much - fingerings in red below the tab, "-" means shift:

G------------------
D----------------------
A-----5-7--9-9--7-5--
E-7-7--------------
..[color="#FF0000"] 4 4 1-1 4 4 -4 1[/color]

Jennifer[/quote]
Thankyou very, very much.
:0)

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='744569' date='Feb 14 2010, 09:42 AM']Hi folks

I posted this one up to clear up a discussion on another thread and I didn't want to hijack another topic so.....

It did leave me very curious about something though. I'd appreciate the forum's views on this one please.

Q. do you think one finger per fret is valid advice ? Up 'till now, I saw it as digit training and a method of increasing the span of the left hand to cope with the lower end fret spacing.

I havn't researched it personally, but relied instead on the advice of the 'experts'.

what do you think folks ?

etc. Edited out the remainder..........read the full text at the first topic entry...........[/quote]

Hi Basschaters,

As a relatively new, self tough, electric bass player I've never heard of the '1fpf' rule / advice. I've read through the thread and found it fascinating - thanks to you all.

I've only been playing for 4 years, no formal training or tutor advice, just me, the bass and a CD player or Tascam-BT. I'v occasionally referred to on-line TAB but not for 'which left hand finger on which fret' positions, only for the fret position. My first bass was a Fender Precision (1987), wide neck, 34 inch scale length and action you could drive a buss under. I eventually sussed out that perhaps the action was a little high and had it set up; what a difference that made.

Without knowing the 1fpf thing I applied it anyway, sort of made sense. My next bass was a Fender Jazz, slim neck, 34 inch scale length and great action from the start. I've had several basses since and can say that they all gave me problems when playing down the neck and applying the 1fpf rule / advice thing, Oh the cramps......

I did during the above period think about buying a, dare I say it, a Short Scale Bass...Aggggggg, but was always put off by other players telling me that they were for kids or girls with small hands. 'I have small hands', yes I admit it. I've put up with the sore wrists and cramps when playing repetitive riff's down the neck and stretching - but no more! I've bought a Short Scale and cramps and sore wrists have gone away, I can stretch enough to apply the 1fpf thing and play riff's down the neck all day long.

My advice would be to anyone, after a lot of pain for the gain, is - if the finger stretching 'or whatever the technical term is' is giving you cramps, a sore wrist or any hand discomfort just try a Medium 32 inch scale or a Short +/-30 inch scale - Just don't buy a PINK one.

I'm just a tad disappointed that the choice of Medium and Short scale basses is so limited. What about a Short or Medium Fender Jazz (MIJ Fender do a Medium but they can't sell it outside Japan). I've settled on a Gibson SG Short and I'm looking for a decent Fender Mustang (the choice is very limited), as much as I'd love to be sporting a Jazz or a Precision I just can't do the pain thing any longer.

Oggy :)

[quote name='Oggy' post='788021' date='Mar 27 2010, 05:11 PM']Hi Basschaters,

As a relatively new, self tough, electric bass player I've never heard of the '1fpf' rule / advice. I've read through the thread and found it fascinating - thanks to you all.

I've only been playing for 4 years, no formal training or tutor advice, just me, the bass and a CD player or Tascam-BT. I'v occasionally referred to on-line TAB but not for 'which left hand finger on which fret' positions, only for the fret position. My first bass was a Fender Precision (1987), wide neck, 34 inch scale length and action you could drive a buss under. I eventually sussed out that perhaps the action was a little high and had it set up; what a difference that made.

Without knowing the 1fpf thing I applied it anyway, sort of made sense. My next bass was a Fender Jazz, slim neck, 34 inch scale length and great action from the start. I've had several basses since and can say that they all gave me problems when playing down the neck and applying the 1fpf rule / advice thing, Oh the cramps......

I did during the above period think about buying a, dare I say it, a Short Scale Bass...Aggggggg, but was always put off by other players telling me that they were for kids or girls with small hands. 'I have small hands', yes I admit it. I've put up with the sore wrists and cramps when playing repetitive riff's down the neck and stretching - but no more! I've bought a Short Scale and cramps and sore wrists have gone away, I can stretch enough to apply the 1fpf thing and play riff's down the neck all day long.

My advice would be to anyone, after a lot of pain for the gain, is - if the finger stretching 'or whatever the technical term is' is giving you cramps, a sore wrist or any hand discomfort just try a Medium 32 inch scale or a Short +/-30 inch scale - Just don't buy a PINK one.

I'm just a tad disappointed that the choice of Medium and Short scale basses is so limited. What about a Short or Medium Fender Jazz (MIJ Fender do a Medium but they can't sell it outside Japan). I've settled on a Gibson SG Short and I'm looking for a decent Fender Mustang (the choice is very limited), as much as I'd love to be sporting a Jazz or a Precision I just can't do the pain thing any longer.

Oggy :)[/quote]
But don't forget that, as several posts here have suggested, 1fpf is not necessary in the lower positions - try Simandl.

And, as you've discovered, medium and short scales are not just 'for kids or girls with small hands'.

Edited by EssentialTension

Hey Oggy - get yourself into Simandl not just for good bass technique,but also it will help the reading thing too. One thing I've not seen much mention of in this thread is the relative length of the 4th finger (the pinkie). On most Humans it only reaches to the 2nd joint of the third finger this limits its usefulness in the lower positions particularly on the lower strings
unless some pretty unatural stretching is undertaken.Whilst the 1fpf method has its devotees,the double bass method 1,2,3+4 is more comfortable, adaptable ,and will 'get you through' some of those prolonged hard work bass lines in better shape .

Cheers :)