Why become a member? ×

Sound Clips Pt.1 - Musicman Stingray 3EQ

Linus27

After my previous sound clip thread, which gave a quick over view of a few basses, I thought I would focus on one bass at a time.

First up is my 2005 Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 3EQ which has a maple neck and has just been restrung with brand new Elite Stadium strings. The bass is being played into a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 amp head with its EQ totally flat. A Mini-disc recorder is connected via the headphones socket on the amp to record the sound. This is then plugged into my Creative Labs sound card on my PC and converted via Creative Media Player into MP3.

So, the samples. I have tried to cover most options and included what I think I would probably use for my own personel sound. I have covered both fingerstyle and pick.

1. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Flat, Treble Quarter - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42119:Stingray...gerstyle.mp3]

2. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Flat, Treble Quarter - Pick

[attachment=42120:Stingray...r___Pick.mp3]

3. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Flat, Mids Flat, Treble Flat - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42121:Stingray...erstyle_.mp3]

4. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Flat, Mids Flat, Treble Flat - Pick

[attachment=42122:Stingray...t___Pick.mp3]

5. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Flat, Mids Off, Treble Flat - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42123:Stingray...gerstyle.mp3]

6. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Flat, Mids Off, Treble Flat - Pick

[attachment=42124:Stingray...t___Pick.mp3]

7. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off, Treble Quarter - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42125:Stingray...gerstyle.mp3]

8. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off, Treble Quarter - Pick

[attachment=42126:Stingray...r___Pick.mp3]

9. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off, Treble Off - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42127:Stingray...gerstyle.mp3]

10. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off, Treble Off - Pick

[attachment=42128:Stingray...f___Pick.mp3]

11. My Personel Choice - Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off A Quarter, Treble Quarter - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42129:Stingray...gerstyle.mp3]

12. My Personel Choice - Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off A Quarter, Treble Flat - Pick

[attachment=42130:Stingray...t___Pick.mp3]

Let me know what you think of the different tones and vote away :)

Edited by ped

G' morning Linus27,

Thanks for producing the sound samples and describing the method.

I voted for No.1. I obviously prefer clean deep rounded sounds. If I had to pick a second choice it would be No.3 and for a little more edge, No.10.

With fingerstyle flat mids and quarter of treble (upwards) you can hear the sound of the strings. I have the same strings, so I can pick out that "zizzy ting". The pick brings it even more into the sound. When you take out the mid & treble as in No.10 the "zizz" drops off until it's almost not there.

Thanks,

Balcro.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Linus27' post='739411' date='Feb 8 2010, 10:14 PM']After my previous sound clip thread, which gave a quick over view of a few basses, I thought I would focus on one bass at a time.

First up is my 2005 Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 3EQ which has a maple neck and has just been restrung with brand new Elite Stadium strings. The bass is being played into a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 amp head with its EQ totally flat. A Mini-disc recorder is connected via the headphones socket on the amp to record the sound. This is then plugged into my Creative Labs sound card on my PC and converted via Creative Media Player into MP3.

So, the samples. I have tried to cover most options and included what I think I would probably use for my own personel sound. I have covered both fingerstyle and pick.

1. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Flat, Treble Quarter - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42119:Stingray...gerstyle.mp3]

2. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Flat, Treble Quarter - Pick

[attachment=42120:Stingray...r___Pick.mp3]

3. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Flat, Mids Flat, Treble Flat - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42121:Stingray...erstyle_.mp3]

4. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Flat, Mids Flat, Treble Flat - Pick

[attachment=42122:Stingray...t___Pick.mp3]

5. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Flat, Mids Off, Treble Flat - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42123:Stingray...gerstyle.mp3]

6. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Flat, Mids Off, Treble Flat - Pick

[attachment=42124:Stingray...t___Pick.mp3]

7. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off, Treble Quarter - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42125:Stingray...gerstyle.mp3]

8. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off, Treble Quarter - Pick

[attachment=42126:Stingray...r___Pick.mp3]

9. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off, Treble Off - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42127:Stingray...gerstyle.mp3]

10. Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off, Treble Off - Pick

[attachment=42128:Stingray...f___Pick.mp3]

11. My Personel Choice - Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off A Quarter, Treble Quarter - Fingerstyle

[attachment=42129:Stingray...gerstyle.mp3]

12. My Personel Choice - Stingray 3EQ - Bass Full, Mids Off A Quarter, Treble Flat - Pick

[attachment=42130:Stingray...t___Pick.mp3]

Let me know what you think of the different tones and vote away :)[/quote]

Hi Linus, I know your post is over a year old but I maybe trading your old Stingray from Rob, it's a bass he bought from you and was wondering if these are the sound clips of that actual bass, and if so would it be possible for you to email them to me as the attachment are not working here. Hopefully you may still have them and it would be great to hear the bass before I buy. My email is [email protected]
Thanks for reading this and if you can sort it for me many thanks
Ron

If you can tell me anymore about the bass that would be cool

[quote name='wal4string' post='1189995' date='Apr 6 2011, 02:17 AM']Hi Linus, I know your post is over a year old but I maybe trading your old Stingray from Rob, it's a bass he bought from you and was wondering if these are the sound clips of that actual bass, and if so would it be possible for you to email them to me as the attachment are not working here. Hopefully you may still have them and it would be great to hear the bass before I buy. My email is [email protected]
Thanks for reading this and if you can sort it for me many thanks
Ron

If you can tell me anymore about the bass that would be cool[/quote]

Hiya Wal4String, yes these clips are the natural 3EQ Stingray that I used to have. I do still have the clips on my hard drive ... I think. I will email them over to you in the next day or two. If you recieve nothing by the weekend then please drop me a reminder as I am very busy and I would had just forgotten. Not a problem either way if I still have the clips.