Why become a member? ×

Our Band: Bass and Drum duo.

digitalbath

Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong forum. Please move it if I've made an error.

A friend and I recently parted ways with our two guitarists. He's a long standing drummer collaborator of mine, and I' ma recent (last two years) Guitar to Bass convert.

After spending two years trying to find a guitarist that gelled, finding on (almost two), and realising our ideals are not compatible, we've decided to move forward as a two piece. Drums and bass only.

Now, our style is not in accordance with the standard ideal. Ie: Death From Above and their fuzz base blues/rock foundations, but more in the post-rock/hardcore and the alternative and darker aspects of indie.

What I would love is advice on equipment to bolster our sound. Obviously, we need to flesh it out as much as possible to make up for the lack of layers.

I've purchased an Ibanez Pd7, as the tones it offers can help give my bass a more guitar llike distortion than most pedals I've found while retaining the low end essentials. I'm also considering an SB7 as we're great fans of synthesised sounds and, from what I can gather, the pedal does a good job of giving that 80s feel when tweaked.

What else would you guys recommend, or counter the above choices with?

And does anyone have an SB7 they can provide a video/audio demo of with simple straight notes (no blues licks or intricate parts please, I'd like to hear the sound in its purest form)?

I'm considering some kind of loop pedal to help layer, and vocal effects for the same.

Recommendations and advice extremely welcome!

Thanks all.

I was briefly in a bass , drum + singer trio in around 1981!

I just had an overdriven sound which I supplemented with a Wasp synth with the notes written on it in felt tip that I would 'play/prod' in between playing notes on the bass.

We were so ahead of out time....[size=1]unlistenable[/size]

It'll be hard to get this one right. Good luck.

Good luck with it! I've seen many many Bass/Drums 2 piece since Lightning Bolt became a pressing concern and most have just sounded like a weakened version of that.

Since you like synth sounds, have you not thought of looking for a synth player?

and on a bass note, dont distort it too much and lose the notes, I saw a band do this recently and it was abysmal, especially coupled with the awful posing and costumes. urgh.

[quote name='3V17C' post='738824' date='Feb 8 2010, 11:53 AM']akai unibass pedal could be handy... plays distorted/harmonized line over the top of what you're playing and can be outputted to seperate guitar amp too for extra(better) eg etc[/quote]

I really like the layer and depth of sound that pedal offers. I'll be sure to look it up.

Thanks for the responses all!

Another possible avenue you could try - installing a MIDI pickup? You'd be able to achieve a massive array of sounds that way.

Perhaps not viable, but I thought I'd put it out there. If it were down to a pedal, I'd probably go for that Akai Unibass, having watched that clip. Cool stuff.

I can't claim specifics but i thought've thought something to boost the mids, dependsing on how you're doing it.

I'm in a band with me on bass n my friend on various instruments (inc. drums at times) n i tend to do chords so you gotta boost the mids otherwise it leaves a massive gap in the sound.

All about the multiple rigs. And you don't have to worry so much about the very bottom, cause you have all of the space in the frequency range to play with.

Dude from [url="http://www.myspace.com/bignaturalsrock"]Big Naturals[/url] plays through mostly guitar stuff (and a Marshall 8x10), plenty dense enough.