Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone have experience of a separate practice space?

trent900

Yo

I've been thinking and I'm somewhere near a conclusion but I wanted to see if there was experience out there.

I have a room in a friend's house which does me fine because it leaves me plenty of spare dollar from the old monthly spondoolies to buy gear with.

Trouble is, said gear starts to stack up. I now have to store 2 basses, classical and electric guitars, a 8U amp head rig and a 3x10 cab...and an electric drum kit. Space is an issue. Also volume is an issue. The electric kit is brill, and a Korg PX4D does fine for most things, but I want to use my amp every now and again and I'm starting to feel that you can only go so far practicing with rubberised plastic drums.

So - does anyone have experience of locating a dedicated rehearsal space on a long-term basis? Like...renting a garage or an old lockup or something, stashing gear in there and using it as somewhere to unload frustration and possibly to rehearse with bands? I don't want to move out to my own place because a) I like it here, :) it would be [i]so much[/i] more expensive (at least £350 a month more) and c) I'd probably still have neighbours so half the problem would still exist.

Anyone got experience of a clever solution to this or similar problem?

Cheers

Jon

me and 8 friends share a room at a local dedicated rehearsal studio, we end up paying about 50 quid each a month, but it's 24 hr access, heated, theres a lift, so no lugging up stairs.

between all of us we own so much gear its ridiculous so it's nice to have a massive room with everything set up in it.

Edited by WWRRSS

I know of at least 3 rehearsal rooms who have storage space. You only pay a nominal monthly fee think it was £5 a few years back. They make their money because they know you will rehearse there. Just need to work on a bit of logistics when you have a gig and need to pick up gear and return gear.

[quote name='TimR' post='738591' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:05 PM']I know of at least 3 rehearsal rooms who have storage space. You only pay a nominal monthly fee think it was £5 a few years back. They make their money because they know you will rehearse there. Just need to work on a bit of logistics when you have a gig and need to pick up gear and return gear.[/quote]

I've been to a few rehearsal rooms that have this system as well.

I've also been to some that have very small 'practice' rooms with just a kit set up. They will usually allow you to cart an amp in as well.

My issue with a lock-up is that it's going to be pretty obvious that you're playing and leaving instruments there so it's going to be a prime target for theft. Some have decent 24 hour security but I'm not sure how common this is.

Edited by molan

I've found that most rehearsal studios have some kind of lock-up facilities for storing gear, but I've never used them as I've only rehearsed once a week and all my gear fits in my car no problem. I believe that the storage cost is reasonably low (not free!) and you should add the cost of insuring the gear on top for your own peace of mind. Although you should get access to your gear whenever you want, you'll be limited to available rehearsal slots with the studio if you actually want to use it on site.

At the end of the day if you're after some kind of service or facility you're going to have to pay for it. Sounds like you've got a nice little agreement set up between you and your friend.

Thanks for the good advice chaps.

I didn't even know that studio at Darley Abbey Mill existed! Will definitely be checking it out - imagine that in summer, a day's rehearsing and then off for a pint in the Abbey afterwards...laaavly.

The security aspect has me worried as well, but it strikes me as potentially a surmountable difficulty. I'm after somewhere I and my friends can just rock down to on a whim and make loud noises. Maybe good locks + good insurance and just don't leave things with sentimental value might be an answer.

Anyway. The Studio as first port of call I think.

If I end up with my own dedicated space...you're all welcome to help demolish walls with sound!

Jon