Why become a member? ×

Ampeg keeps peaking!

jonnyfastfingers

This was one of my amp choices a while back, and my only Ampeg. I got rid of it pretty quickly because it just didn't seem that loud. I don't know much about the tech stuff, but I suspect you aren't getting near full power because the speaker isn't 4-ohms? Does the amp go to 2 ohms? Can't remember.

Think it only goes to four. Always liked the look of them, but they are quite lightweight in terms of full on power.
As for the peaking, there should be an active switch/-db cut button next to the input.
you could lower the gain to 3 or so and drive the volume, though that would depend a bit on what way the preamp in your bass is set up/tweaked

Edited by basshead56

If the volume on your active bass is set too high you might be blasting the pre amp. If your amp is anything like the SVT3, try running the Master volume at nearly full on, around 3 -4 o'clock, have the Gain at about 11-12 o'clock and, starting from off, bring volume on the bass up to the required level. This should give you enough volume without overdriving the preamp.