Why become a member? ×

Weak sounding G string - causes?

jmstone

Hi there,

I've picked up my Ibanez Roadster RS800 again - and it really is a fantastic bass, if a bit heavy for long sessions.. I guess bass players were tougher back in the 70's!

There is one annoying problem with it at the moment - the G string sounds very weak compared to the others - "plonky" with no depth or resonance. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the pickups - which are 30 years old - or maybe the strings I put on it - Rotosound Jazz Flats.

Appreciate some expert opinion!

James

I've had similar problems in the past and have solved it by adjusting the pick-ups. If you have, or can get hold of, a mixer. Plug into a channel and play each string in turn with a similar force. Watch the output meter, or LED's and a combination of raising the pick-up on the G string side and lowering on the E String side solved my problems.

Last resort would be trying to sort it out with a compressor.

Hmm.. Will have a go again, but the height of the pickup doesn't seem to make that much difference. Could it be a dead string?

James

Edit: I think I simutaneoulsy posted this with 2x18's reply above.. Will try some other strings - any suggestions as to what I should go for?

Edited by jmstone

[quote name='jmstone' post='737204' date='Feb 6 2010, 02:05 PM']Hmm.. Will have a go again, but the height of the pickup doesn't seem to make that much difference. Could it be a dead string?

James

Edit: I think I simutaneoulsy posted this with 2x18's reply above.. Will try some other strings - any suggestions as to what I should go for?[/quote]

If your talking Flats, I now use mainly Ti Jazz Flats and D,Addario stainless flats.