Why become a member? ×

Which DI/Overdrive pedal?

WonderHorse

Normally I don't post threads asking for advice on products but I'm a bit stuck.

After the weekend I'll be selling my Marshall VBC412 and TE GP7SM 130 head (look out for them on the for sale section next week), as I don't really need them.

Anyway, I'm looking to replace these with a DI/Overdrive pedal

Here's my favourites so far:

MXR M80
Sansamp BDDI
Sansamp Bass Driver Porgrammable
Dave Hall VT1 EQ Bass Drive

I'd be using the pedal live and for recording - for everything pretty much. I plan to run it through the effects loop on my Fender Rumble 100 or straight to the desk live.

For recording I would jsut run it straight to the desk.

I like the idea of the programmable Sansamp just 'cos I can have different sounds should I ever need them, can I do this with the rest?

I've been leaning towards the Dave Hall VT1, but then I read reviews of the Sansamps and they're all good.

Help?

**EDIT**

Should maybe include that the sound I'm looking for is Entwistle/Geddy Lee.

Nice growly jazz sound

Edited by WonderHorse

If you have use for the presets, and are willing to spend that little bit extra, I'd definitely go for the programable BDDI.

Will probbaly end up getting on of these myself in the future, though it'll probably turn into a toss up between the PBBDI and the new version of the VT Bass.

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='734953' date='Feb 4 2010, 12:39 PM']Should maybe include that the sound I'm looking for is Entwistle/Geddy Lee.

Nice growly jazz sound[/quote]

Then I suspect you should add the Sansamp Para Driver to the list as well. The Para is the same as the RPM rack, whcih I understand Geddy selected over the BDDI due to too much mid scoop. The Para has a different distortion/drive structure as well too. I have to say, that I am not a fan of the BDDI break up. Far too messy. I quite fancy the idea of mixing a dry bass tone in with a GT2 - or to try a Para driver in my rack.

Thing is - no one stocks the damn things so I can't even try them out.. Grrr, bah humbug!

Awww That's fantastic! I look forward to your review for sure! I've just contacted Tech 21 for a chat about the Classic, GT2 and Para Driver. Hopefully I'll be picking one soon too!

I have an M80 already, but I want a different character of drive to play with.