Why become a member? ×

ID this bass please, Numan WTMTB

iconic

It's not Pino... That's actually a good mate of mine called Andy Coughlan playing a Wal Fretless Pro 1.. He also has a couple of other very nice Wals in his kit bag as well, including one he calls 'Old Bluey' because it's a special one off light-blue colour.

A fantastic player, these days Andy does a lot of double-bass work, but he still does a lot of gigs with his Wals, including Cerys Matthews amongst others.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='732259' date='Feb 1 2010, 09:31 PM']It's not Pino... That's actually a good mate of mine called Andy Coughlan playing a Wal Fretless Pro 1.. He also has a couple of other very nice Wals in his kit bag as well, including one he calls 'Old Bluey' because it's a special one off light-blue colour.

A fantastic player, these days Andy does a lot of double-bass work, but he still does a lot of gigs with his Wals, including Cerys Matthews amongst others.[/quote]

didn't Pino play on the album that song's from though?

Surely Numan would make sure the Welsh master of the low end could get on his live tour if he featured on the album they're touring

just a thought!

James

[quote name='jamesbass116' post='732291' date='Feb 1 2010, 10:01 PM']didn't Pino play on the album that song's from though?

Surely Numan would make sure the Welsh master of the low end could get on his live tour if he featured on the album they're touring

just a thought!

James[/quote]
Andy did some of the records as well, and was with Numan for some years.

As for Pino, I've no idea..but that's definitely Andy & his Wal Pro 1. Besides, Pino didn't use Wals as far as I can remember..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='732320' date='Feb 1 2010, 05:14 PM']Andy did some of the records as well, and was with Numan for some years.

As for Pino, I've no idea..but that's definitely Andy & his Wal Pro 1. Besides, Pino didn't use Wals as far as I can remember..[/quote]

What he said, Andy Coughlan with a modified Wal Pro with tremelo. I believe Pino did record the album track and this video looks like footage from Numan's White Noise live album (or around that time).

Edited by GeeCee

[quote name='GeeCee' post='733496' date='Feb 2 2010, 09:23 PM']What he said, Andy Coughlan with a modified Wal Pro with tremelo. I believe Pino did record the album track and this video looks like footage from Numan's White Noise live album (or around that time).[/quote]
+1

Andy doesn't quite have the same bouyant hairstyle these days, but his bass playing is fabulous!

This is from the Berserker tour in '84.

I always liked Andy's playing and he seems like a top bloke.

He always looked a bit embarrassed when it came to the solo at the end of this song. Typical bassist, I suppose, not really comfortable in the, literal, spotlight.