Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller Pre-amp question

Jono Bolton

Would I be able to change the pickups in my Fender Marcus Miller Jazz and still use the pre-amp? As far as I can work out, it's 2 passive J-Bass pickups, with an optional 2 band pre-amp that I can switch in and out. In passive mode the MM sounds quite weedy, which is why I was thinking of changing the pickups. If I do, is it just a straight swap, or do I need active pickups or anything like that?

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='731983' date='Feb 1 2010, 06:02 PM']Would I be able to change the pickups in my Fender Marcus Miller Jazz and still use the pre-amp? As far as I can work out, it's 2 passive J-Bass pickups, with an optional 2 band pre-amp that I can switch in and out. In passive mode the MM sounds quite weedy, which is why I was thinking of changing the pickups. If I do, is it just a straight swap, or do I need active pickups or anything like that?[/quote]

passive pickups will be fine - most active basses have passive pickups and a preamp.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='731988' date='Feb 1 2010, 06:07 PM']passive pickups will be fine - most active basses have passive pickups and a preamp.[/quote]

Cheers, I was thinking about sticking in a set of Wizards or Dimarzios but didn't want to buy a set of passives only to find that the pickups wont work with the preamp.

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='732225' date='Feb 1 2010, 09:08 PM']Oh yeah, and where do you order a new neck for a Marcus Miller from?[/quote]

It's not a Marcus Miller neck sadly, it's just a maple Mighty Mite one. Taking it to the shop to have it fitted on Friday.

[quote name='Marcus' post='732321' date='Feb 1 2010, 10:17 PM']The pickups are fine in the Miller (USA)

Rip that 50c pre-amp out and install an Aguilar OBP1[/quote]

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but is the general concencus that the Aguilar Pre-amp is best for a MM Jazz ?
Keen to hear comments.
thanks,
Jim

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='733196' date='Feb 2 2010, 05:23 PM']It's not a Marcus Miller neck sadly, it's just a maple Mighty Mite one. Taking it to the shop to have it fitted on Friday.[/quote]

Damn, the Marcus Miller neck is simply one of the best ever (for me).

I'd buy one just to build a guitar around (especially a precision).

Thanks though.