Why become a member? ×

Gosh, but it's hard work!!!

Stompbox

:wacko:
Well then, I'm up and about after last night's gig at a fairly local pub.

-That's me on the 62 Reissue Jazz bass & my mate John on guitar. Just a standard covers duo with the best drummer in the world - starts & stops when you want, keeps at a steady speed, as loud (or as quiet) as you want, doesn't argue & doesn't want a share of the fee! He's called Alex (Alesis drum machine)!

Anyhoo we rolled out our three half hours to a so-so audience and it was OK - got compliments, had friends come (and stay!)

So we come to strip all the gear down & load it into the cars - hey - you know how it goes. Freezing night, screen frozen up, the gear's getting heavier and heavier I swear.

And ALL OF THE EQUIPMENT & CABLES!!! WOW - how are we to reduce it down - ridiculous amount of stuff just to go out & play in a duo - and we didn't even take the monitors last night.

Handling the gear FOUR TIMES - out into the car, out into the gig, back to the car, back in the house.

I've been playing on & off (mostly on) for forty years now - it's not getting any easier!

I know, I know, you don't have to do it, but if only I had taken up the Piccolo (perhaps doubling on Flute).

So here I am counting my half of our monster fee and recovering by degrees. Just a little down, but hey - you just know the next one will be great.....

[quote name='Stompbox' post='730535' date='Jan 31 2010, 01:11 PM']And ALL OF THE EQUIPMENT & CABLES!!! WOW - how are we to reduce it down - ridiculous amount of stuff just to go out & play in a duo - and we didn't even take the monitors last night.[/quote]
Headset radio mics, wireless packs for the instruments. Amp sims / POD's into a small 12 channel passive mixer out to powered speakers.

Now you don't have to carry instrument amps, mic stands, mic leads or a PA amp. You'll also be lighter by about £2000.

Glad you had a good gig, though.

You seem to have rather a lot of gear in the photo! This is only an observation, but a Markbass LMx and a neo 112 through the PA, if you really need to, would see the bass sorted! Does your guitarist need more than a 112 combo and some pedals?

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='730558' date='Jan 31 2010, 01:28 PM']Headset radio mics, wireless packs for the instruments. Amp sims / POD's into a small 12 channel passive mixer out to powered speakers.

Now you don't have to carry instrument amps, mic stands, mic leads or a PA amp. You'll also be lighter by about £2000.

Glad you had a good gig, though.[/quote]
:)
Well, that's right - we played through one of the Bose L1 systems when we were playing with another band a few weeks ago - that WAS stunning - simple to assemble, light and, - I believe, with a couple of bass speakers fitted you can run bass through them. One of those, plus, as you say, radio headset mics and radio links on the guitars - maybe £3.5K would see us right.....

Seriously great piece of kit though - even sound distribution through the room. Very clear and a good tone. What a truly different/attitude changing experience after playing through columns, or their equivalent,for all this time.

So what are the next six numbers for Wednesday night's Lotto draw then.... HMMMMMM...

Edited by Stompbox

[quote name='Stompbox' post='730616' date='Jan 31 2010, 02:30 PM']:)
Well, that's right - we played through one of the Bose L1 systems when we were playing with another band a few weeks ago - that WAS stunning - simple to assemble, light and, - I believe, with a couple of bass speakers fitted you can run bass through them. One of those, plus, as you say, radio headset mics and radio links on the guitars - maybe £3.5K would see us right.....

Seriously great piece of kit though - even sound distribution through the room. Very clear and a good tone. What a truly different/attitude changing experience after playing through columns, or their equivalent,for all this time.

So what are the next six numbers for Wednesday night's Lotto draw then.... HMMMMMM...[/quote]

4 8 15 16 23 42 :rolleyes: