Why become a member? ×

Squier P bass neck join

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='729935' date='Jan 30 2010, 06:05 PM']The pick guard should match the neck pocket on the body.If the fretboard overhangs the bottom of the neck,the pick guard will sit under the overhang.[/quote]
:)

good answer..strange question...are there basses with the fretboard...overhung?

[quote name='mrcrow' post='730788' date='Jan 31 2010, 05:06 PM']:)

good answer..strange question...are there basses with the fretboard...overhung?[/quote]

There are basses where the fretboard overhangs. Still, you'd want that bit of the fretboard to be in contact with the body, so the pickguard would have to be cut around the overhang, not around the neck pocket.

I've never seen any fenders/squires with overhanging fretboards.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='730908' date='Jan 31 2010, 06:21 PM']My fretboard overhangs,it is not in contact with the body and the scratch plate goes under the board.It is also not a Fender neck.[/quote]

Actually I suppose that makes sense. Otherwise you might get some issues with shimming the neck.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I only ask because I have a neck with an overhanging fret board and was thinking of buying a P bass body to put it on. The one I'm looking at has a pick guard that does not leave room for it to sit on the body. So was wondering if it would work over the pick guard.
Could always cut the pick guard down if the neck overhang was not high enough to get over it??

[quote name='gabson' post='731296' date='Feb 1 2010, 04:15 AM']Yeah you can alway attack the sctratchplate with a hefty file!

Yep ive seen guitars and basses with this weird overhang thing. some even pin the scratchplate to the top of he body![/quote]

the overhang is there so that the body can be made identically regardless of whether there is a std. neck or one with more frets fitted - the same thing applies to a 22 fret Strat

[quote name='bigjohn' post='730881' date='Jan 31 2010, 06:10 PM']There are basses where the fretboard overhangs. Still, you'd want that bit of the fretboard to be in contact with the body, so the pickguard would have to be cut around the overhang, not around the neck pocket.

I've never seen any fenders/squires with overhanging fretboards.[/quote]

"The pick guard should match the neck pocket on the body.If the fretboard overhangs the bottom of the neck,the pick guard will sit under the overhang."

see above...none of my basses have the fretboard at the same level as the pg :)

[quote name='richardrickenbacker' post='730994' date='Jan 31 2010, 07:51 PM']Thanks for the replies guys.
I only ask because I have a neck with an overhanging fret board and was thinking of buying a P bass body to put it on. The one I'm looking at has a pick guard that does not leave room for it to sit on the body. So was wondering if it would work over the pick guard.
Could always cut the pick guard down if the neck overhang was not high enough to get over it??[/quote]

that more or less answers it...make the pg fit the crime