Why become a member? ×

First relic - Swedish Hardcore Relic Edition

blackparkas

Well.

Were keen on getting another project since my Aerodyne/Jazzbass Special-project is nearly done and don´t have the inspiration to complete it...
First thoughts were a Jazz bass.
Shoreline Gold with Blocks/bindings and MHS.
Got hold of a cheap loades J&D-body in 3-tone SB.

When the body arrived I just wanted to se if I could get a pretty nice relic befor respraying it... and then I just got carried away...

This is after the first rounds of Jazz-body VS cement-floor:
8Is it called cementfloor??)

After round 2:

After round 3 wich included some sanding and celaning of the dust after throwing the body across the floor:

I´ve been working on the places where the wood is visable after the last photos, but just a little bit on the front and some more on the back.

So, it´s not a pro-job, but it´s fun and I´m learning a lot of what you souldn´t or shouldn´t do...

I don't mean to be rude, but that sort of ‘relicing’ doesn't really do it for me (although I love relics!). It looks a bit too much like you had to fight it off with a screwdriver in the dead of night! Makes a good punk bass though.

Personally, I think that the best way to attain a 'relic' type finish is to strip all the paint off, do some careful masking of areas to stay as ‘wood’ (checking some genuine relic photos for accuracy) Respray body and coat with nitro, and then use that as your starting point for ‘blending it all in. I was going to do that with a strat of mine, but I stripped off the paint and it looked so cool (to me!) that I just left it like that.

Having said that, it’s your bass and if you are happy with it then fine!

I´ve seen a lot of old Fenders, around 60-63 looking..... similar to this, with all the marks and dents along the sides of the body, that´s the marks I really wanted.
Those marks weren´t made by the floor though, well, most of them weren´t.

Since the Pre CBS-basses had a bit thinner paint, this one looks like someone chewed on it... Really thick layers of paint.

As said, it was like new when I got it, and yes, there´s some scratches and dents ofcourse.

IF I´m going to refin, I´ll take the whole paint off down to the wood and fill up the worst dents.

Note that this is a really cheap body, solid wood though, but cheap.

Next project is trying to get the paint a bit less shiny and find somehing to darken the wood that is uncovered so it looks a bit aged.

[quote name='Golchen' post='727302' date='Jan 28 2010, 10:44 AM']I don't mean to be rude, but that sort of ‘relicing’ doesn't really do it for me (although I love relics!). It looks a bit too much like you had to fight it off with a screwdriver in the dead of night! Makes a good punk bass though.

Personally, I think that the best way to attain a 'relic' type finish is to strip all the paint off, do some careful masking of areas to stay as ‘wood’ (checking some genuine relic photos for accuracy) Respray body and coat with nitro, and then use that as your starting point for ‘blending it all in. I was going to do that with a strat of mine, but I stripped off the paint and it looked so cool (to me!) that I just left it like that.

Having said that, it’s your bass and if you are happy with it then fine![/quote]

Well, as stated, this is my first attempt on doing some kind of relic.
You don´t get a pro first time trying do you?

And since I wanted... sort of this look, the dents around the sides of the bass, I found my method pretty satisfying.
And no, I didn´t use screwdrivers and it was in broad daylight...

The big problem is to get the bigger parts more natural and the front and back less shiny and with some dents and small chips of paint beaten off.

Alrigth!

I think I have a tube of Autosol left since polishing the bumpers on my Camaro.
Have to look for it.
Actually thought of Autosol from the start, do you think I could use it right away without sanding first?

I used a bunch of wrinkled newspaper to rub the bass yesterday, worked pretty good and created tiny scratches that looked pretty natural, but it would take a week to do it that way....

Edited by blackparkas

Firstly to answer your question, no it isn't called a "cementfloor". That's what they do in German but you might as well just call it a "cement floor". As for the relic, i probably would have left it at the first bit myself, maybe gouged a little bit out of the wood. It does look a little ott to me but i guess if you like it then that's the important thing. Try not to worry too much about what everyone else thinks.

Thanks for helping out with the english language!
We swedes all think we speak english fluently.... :)

And yes, I should have left it as ir was after the first round, I agree...
But I just HAD to keep going...

I´m taking this as one lession out of hopefully many.
One of these days I´ll try relicing a body that doesnt cost like one weeks ration of Red Bull, and I´ll hopefully will know what to do or not to do then.

I kind of like it the way it is now though, I´ll try the teabag-trick this weekend if I get the time, that will probably make some difference in the appearance of the body.

[quote name='blackparkas' post='729358' date='Jan 30 2010, 12:42 AM']Thanks for helping out with the english language!
We swedes all think we speak english fluently.... :rolleyes:

And yes, I should have left it as ir was after the first round, I agree...
But I just HAD to keep going...

I´m taking this as one lession out of hopefully many.
One of these days I´ll try relicing a body that doesnt cost like one weeks ration of Red Bull, and I´ll hopefully will know what to do or not to do then.

I kind of like it the way it is now though, I´ll try the teabag-trick this weekend if I get the time, that will probably make some difference in the appearance of the body.[/quote]

I think most northern europeaners speak a pretty good degree of english. Better than some people in england anyway lolz. I had many a lesson in what not to do in bass construction/modification, if you learn something then it's all good :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='729978' date='Jan 30 2010, 06:38 PM']A lesson that i learned,the stupid way,was...................you can not make a Thinline Telecaster into a double cutaway,because they are HOLLOW..................i must say that my dad was jolly well upset,that i had ruined said late 60's/early 70's Fender. :rolleyes:

It was 30 years ago.[/quote]

OUCH!
I somehow feel a lot more at peace with the Truss Rod accident I had the other month! :)

Si