Why become a member? ×

Wah Pedal in the FX loop - noise problem

alhbass

Hello. I've had a Dunlop Cry Baby Bass Wah pedal for ages - not used it much in the past, but I've recently started working with a new band and suddenly finding some possibilities with it.

But - on the rare occasions I've messed around with it in the past, I've put it first in the FX chain, ie in front of the Preamp. That worked fine. I'd now like to use it in the FX loop, as to me the effect sounds better blended with the dry signal, but I'm finding it generates a terrible noise - a 50hz hum I think, tho not certain. The noise is constant, not made better or worse by actually using the pedal, and is the same whether I use batteries in it or the PSU.

The pedal still works fine if used in front of the pre-amp, generating no noise.

Any suggestions?

Is it simply not possible to include this type of pedal in the FX loop (it's a Markbass LMK)? My other pedals are working fine in the loop today, so I don't think it's a fault in the amp either..

Grateful for any advice.

Cheers,

Al

[quote name='The Cooler King' post='722519' date='Jan 23 2010, 07:54 PM']Power supply noise, ground loop ? Are you by chance powering it from a daisy chain with other pedal not in the FX loop (i.e. FX chain beofre the pre amp) ?[/quote]

Yes, at first I was - but thought that might be the problem, so isolated the power to the pedal - it still makes the noise, whether using PSU or battery (which is fine - I checked). And, as I said before, the pedal makes no noise if I put it in the chain before the preamp (ie not in the loop)....so I don't think it's a fault in either the pedal or the PSU...

I'm mystified...

Slighy ot but lately my 105q has started making a high pitched whine when I press it down. It's on a pedaltrain into the front of a little mark 2. I wonderd if it's cause it's right next to the gator gbus8 psu I'm using on the board. The top of the pedal is butted up against it.
Lm2's and 105q's eh!

[quote name='redzombie' post='722797' date='Jan 24 2010, 02:02 AM']Can't say I can think of a single person (bass or guitar) who puts their wah after the preamp, perhaps this is why lol :)

Have you considered running your effects infront of the preamp, using something like a Boss LS-2 as a blender?[/quote]

+1