Why become a member? ×

Sterling Custom?

D-COOPER

Hi folks. Can anyone tell me how much scope there is for custom options on Music Man basses? What i had in mind was a 5 string Sterling with piezo bridge,
high gloss neck (like on the new Classic range) no fretboard markers and a flame maple top? Iv had a look at the website but cant find many options. Any
help would be great.Cheers.

hi,
last year i bought a 4-string mm sterling h piezo.
after settling on the particular combination i wanted, (black,black maple) it took 4 months to ship (fairly standard for your own specs).
i went to my local shop, Live Music in Peterborough.
i think Paul said they use [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/[/url] - and they are mm dealers over here, and following my recent diago powerstation purchase from them, i'd say they are extremely efficient and helpful.
if you're less fussy than me, then settle for a colour scheme on a display model.
i can vouch for the piezo upgrade. it works like a more musical mid-cut, great for slap, as it seems to compress large 'hits', but still retains bottom and top-end attack.
i know 4 months is a long time, but it does help absorb the hit on the credit-card ! :)

LATER EDIT : WRONG ! it wasn't strings direct , it was strings and things (sorry, he crawls away embarassed !),
i may just add this post to the 'senior moments' thread !! :rolleyes:
[url="http://www.stringsandthings.co.uk/"]http://www.stringsandthings.co.uk/[/url]
they are wholesalers, so you can't order from them directly, but they can answer queries/concerns etc..
they will also recommend a shop near you to deal with.

Edited by phil.i.stein

You can also specify fingerboard material (Maple, rosewood, ebony, pau ferro - only on fretless)

Fretless can have lined or unlined, but on fretted you always have the markers.

On StingRays you can choose either the typical Ray neck, or a Sterling neck.

You also have the EQ choice (2 or 3 band, and 4 band on the Bongo/Big Al/25th/Reflex)

On the 'Classic' series you can specify flamed or birdseye maple, glossed or unfinished neck.

Piezo is only available on single pickup models, except the Bongo.

Most models are offered in 4 or 5 (or even 6) string variants.

There's obviously a pickguard choice as well.

There are many models out there with fancy tops, just have look.

Edited by Duarte

[quote name='Duarte' post='723560' date='Jan 24 2010, 09:14 PM']You can also specify fingerboard material (Maple, rosewood, ebony, pau ferro - only on fretless)

Fretless can have lined or unlined, but on fretted you always have the markers.

On StingRays you can choose either the typical Ray neck, or a Sterling neck.

You also have the EQ choice (2 or 3 band, and 4 band on the Bongo/Big Al/25th/Reflex)

On the 'Classic' series you can specify flamed or birdseye maple, glossed or unfinished neck.

Piezo is only available on single pickup models, except the Bongo.

Most models are offered in 4 or 5 (or even 6) string variants.

There's obviously a pickguard choice as well.

There are many models out there with fancy tops, just have look.[/quote]

Good summary!

Im gassing for a Classic Series.

Just be prepared for a slightly long wait. I ordered a custom Stingray HH this time last year - and it took 9 months to get to the UK (original estimate was 3-4 months). Apparently the delay wasn't at the factory, but in the wait for next batch shipment to strings and things - so it might be worth asking about the frequency of shipments to get a better indication of lead-time. Meanwhile the music store I ordered it from closed down - so quite nail-biting, as I have to pay for it up front! All sorted in the end - and good customer service from EB and S&T all things considered. Put it this way, I'd do it again if I had the dosh for another one. Perfect instrament - well worth it.

PS this is my first post here - so hi everyone.