Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

5 String P Bass Dilemma

Robin UK

Basically, i think i'm looking for a 5 string P bass for around £300, but i can't find one anywhere (have seen things like the Vintage 950's etc., but i'm more after a conventional p, and preferrably not active). Squire doesn't seem to make a model, and the only Fender one seems to go for around £700 second hand, which is way out of my price range.

I currently have:

-Warmoth Fretless 5 jazz - covering my fretless side brilliantly

-Schack U4 fretted 4 string (active jazz) - pretty much my dream 4 string

and

-Hohner Custom Jack V pro - which i bought to try and get a 5 string fretted bass, and also one which wasn't too expensive so i wouldn't worry about it as much

(also have my Yamaha BBn4f, which has seen betterdays, but was my first bass, so a keeper)

I'm not really getting on with the hohner. partly the neck, partly the string spacing, and partly the tone. Just not for me really, so i'm thinking of trading or selling it to get another 5. I'm also hankering for a P bass (as all my other's are jazzes of one sort or another), and preferrably passive (or switching) so it's a safe backup for the Schack. So the obivous bass for me would be a 5 string p bass, but i can't find any in my price range really.

Any ideas?

Also, on a side note, why do the Squire Precision 5 strings have jazz pups? is it to do with the neck and body?

Thanks,

Robin

I dont know the reason why the Squire Precision special 5 string has jazz pups but i do know that bass put me off 5 string for years.
To me the neck was way too wide and the strings felt to far apart. It wasn't my first 5 string but it was certainly the worst, IME of course.
I believe the pups are designed for 4 string basses so not ideal.

My friend's shop has a Squier 5 string P Bass in - new but probably been around for a while. As per a previous post, the neck looks enormous! If you are interested though, drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch. It's about an hour and a half from Southampton to here.

Mike