Why become a member? ×

Having multifx AND stompboxes on your board

dumelow

hey

ill just quickly mention that im planning on getting a zoom b2.1u next week but im still a bit of a slag for ye ol' stompboxes so the zoom wont be the only thing on my board. only thing is i wont find out which effects i specifically need a seperate stompbox for till ive heard the zoom perform so i thought id start this thread

just wondered who uses multifx AND stompboxes on their board and why? just down to personal taste? or are there certain individual effects on multifx's letting them down?

Edited by dumelow

I haven't played that many multiFX units, and those that I have were mostly on guitar and made before 2000 - so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

I have never played a multiFX unit that had better effects than normal pedals. In an ideal world, I would have pedals for everything and no digital stuff at all. But a good mixture (and sensible too - can't have 50 pedals at your feet) would be to have the more mainstream stuff (overdrive, distortion, chorus) in pedal boxes and the seldom-used stuff (phaser, delay, EQ, volume etc) in a multiFX unit.

I use an M9 multi for all of my modulation needs. I dont really use modulation that much, so having the multi just gives me all my options if ever i do need something. the rest of my board is basically dirt pedals, as ive never really liked the drive sounds from a multi fx unit, and i like to mix and match running some dirt through another for a different sound.

I used a zoom multi for ages in my band. I used it blended with a compressed signal, which I would sometimes add distortion to with another pedal. I also had another dirt pedal in line with the Zoom. I used the zoom so that I could switch to complicated effects with the press of one button IE phase+fuzz with the phaser rate controllable with the treadle. Also wah and digital delay with the wah controlled.

As with some of the other guys here Ive got an M9 for all mod and delay sounds and run a Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard before it and a Malekko Echo 600 Bright (for crazy self oscillation) after it. The M9 is great and I like having so many possibilities without the drawback of a massive pedalboard (which I used to have and then sold for the M9). If you havent bought the zoom multi yet i'd seriously recommend an M9.