Why become a member? ×

Looking to buy a new head.

XPAULUSX

Hello!

I'm looking to buy myself a new head to accompany my Ampeg SVT410HLF cab.

I currently own a Trace Elliot AH300SMX made in 1996 and am not sure if i am happy or not with the tone i am getting, i've been dialling in various different settings on the EQ and each time i'm managing to achieve various different results but i am beginning to think that maybe TE's are not "the amp" for me.

To put it simply, i am looking for a few amp head recommendations from people that may or may not use the same cab as i do. I quite like the look of the Orange Terror Bass. Has anyone put one of those through an Ampeg cab?

I'm looking to keep my overall spend around the £500 - £700 mark.

Thanks for your time/recommendations in advance.

Paul :)

Edited by XPAULUSX

That's the thing, i'm in two bands, and both are poles apart in terms of the sound i am looking for out of my rig.

I play first and foremost in a thrash metal/crossover band, so the tone i'm looking for when playing this type of music is something quite grindy and aggressive, something not so different from Municipal Waste for example, i know there bassist uses Ampeg gear along with a Music man bass.

My other band however, is a simple "pub rock" band where we play various covers for pubs. I can get a better tone out of my head for use with this band as i think it suits the classic/pub rock style.

So i guess i can say i am looking for versatility, something that can achieve both results i am looking for no matter who i am playing with.

Where would be the best places to find used SVT Valve heads?

i've had a quick look on ebay, and all seem to be so far away to justify me travelling for a simple "try out"

Thanks Again.

Paul

Edited by XPAULUSX