Why become a member? ×

Bit of a strange one...

lemmywinks

[quote name='4 Strings' date='Jan 18 2010, 02:08 PM' post='716607'

Lastly (as someone who enjoys the radio!), although your playing may be disturbing his radio listening, his radio listening is also disturbing your bass playing. He should be able to accept a compromise (certain times etc).
[/quote]

You really do need to get into his place to hear for yourself what the problem is.
Also your electrics seem rather dodgy,there should be no interaction whatsoever between the sockets and lighting.
Your landlord has a duty of care to make sure the place is safe,electrics is something you dont take shortcuts on,almost a pun there(shorts /shortcut) I'll get me coat. :)

If all you kit is up to scratch (which it sound like) and this is happening with varied amps and basses both active & passive, and given that you mention there are other suspect electrics in the house, I would suggest that there is something dodgy with the mains earthing somewhere in the two houses. Most likely it's floating and acting as a transmitter when you play, which also means your gear isn't properly earthed when you are using it...

I would certainly try to get in front if the old chaps radio and hear the effects for yourself. If it is the house electrics, you need to make sure you get a hold of your landlord and tell him the electrics need looked at - it's not something you can afford to take lightly. If he balks at the idea, just tell him you'll bill him for any damage to your gear. :)

If you feel that there is something wrong with your house electrics, then you (or your landlord) should certainly get them checked by a qualified electrician - it's not rocket science...

If the amp that you have has been type approved, it will have a CE mark (usually on the back or bottom, or somewhere like that). If it is older than a certain age (can't remember when) then CE marking wasn't a requirement (and there is no requirement to remove such non CE-marked products from use).

These days it is illegal to place products on the market that are not CE marked, and that marking is the claim by the manufacturers that it complies with *all relevant European standards*, inlcuding those for Electromagnetic Compatibility, meaning that it meets the requirements for both emissions and susceptibility.

Unless your neighbour can demonstrate your equipment is either illegal or (by measurement) that it is faulty, I think that is the end of it...

Tough, but that's life - it is his problem.

Edited by AlanP2008

He cam eround the other day and was actually really reasonable, arranging to go round his and investigate the problem when i have time.

I got the mains conditioner so i'll see if that works. He said that the problem went away for a while but since i've been using the Superfly it's worse. It definitely happened with the Hartke combo though

I think he's going to have a word with the landlord as he knows him quite well (the landlord used to live in our house), he also said that before the house was rented out the landlord had it rewired by a local firm

Incidentally the socket i plug the amp into is right next to a TV ariel socket. None of the ariels in our house work apart from the front room one so could that have something to do with it?

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='722387' date='Jan 23 2010, 05:59 PM']Incidentally the socket i plug the amp into is right next to a TV ariel socket. None of the ariels in our house work apart from the front room one so could that have something to do with it?[/quote]

Well, anything *could* be implicated... It might be that rewiring the house would sort it - in fact, that might be easier than actually trying to understand the mechanism (unless something specificly wrong is found with the existing wiring)....

... my point was that stuff (even radios) have to exhibit immunity from interference, as well as other stuff having to not radiate unnecessarily... The fact that you have two amps that seem to cause the same problem, is actually on your side - it is extremely unlikely that both amps have a similar fault...

I'd assume that the Hartke has a standard "old fashioned" linear PSU. If so, there is nothing that is likely to be operating at RF in there... With the best will in the world it isn't easy to theorise a reason for the problem...

Reasonable or not, at the end of the day, he's the one with the itch to scratch - Can't he get internet radio?